3.4.x stable

cmeisel

The BTSKIN file is an archive that uses ZIP compression. To view file content, rename BTSKIN file extension to ZIP and extract archive in any compression utility or just use Winrar.

*Backup your original .btskin just in case of corruption!

Copy the btskin file to your desktop and begin Editing the btskin using hex colors (http://www.colorpicker.com/)...When finished editing compress/archive it back. Your final project should be in .btskin ext.

Simple when you know how. After extraction, I did have to rename btskin to btskin.txt.

Thanks.

PS When I highlight a torrent, for me the highlight colour is grey - I don't suppose it's possible to change that is it? (What would that come under if it was?).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Encapsulated (portable) installation is described in the help file -

Encapsulated "Installation"

While %AppData%\uTorrent is the default directory for storing the settings, µTorrent actually searches the directory that the executable file is located in first before looking in %AppData%\uTorrent. As such, so long as the directory that the executable is located in contains a settings.dat file (even a blank one), µTorrent will look no further, and use only the files located in its current directory instead. With this behavior, it is possible to create encapsulated µTorrent "installations" for use on portable flash drives, or just to have an isolated copy for any other reason.

If you don't already have an encapsulated install, you can manually move the contents of %AppData%\uTorrent into the same directory as the µTorrent executable to create such an install.

Try it once and see if it resolves the problem before they (eventually) fix it in an update, if it hasn't been already in bld 32718 or 32744.  The fix has been working for me continuously since bld 32080, through and including 32742 without reconstructing the settings.dat file again.

I have tried your encapsulated method with a blank settings.dat file, it don't work either.  I accidently found a work around earlier tho while running encapsulated, I accidently blocked internet access to µtorrent in firewall and I was like "it works! it works! lol".  I go and look my torrents activity and figured it was not accessing internet, I looked in my firewall and it was blocked so I unblocked it and sadly the big sidebar came back.  So I figured it had something to do with one of their urls in Advanced parameters then I added *.bittorrent.com* to my firewall block list, it works that way.  I guess its good for a temporary fix while waiting on µtorrent devs to apply the real fix to µtorrent lol.  By the way I tried my original settings.dat with *.bittorrent.com* in firewall block list it don't work.  It has to be from a brand new settings.dat file, so you have to reconstruct from scratch.

Important to note that all these tests were done on the lastest beta (build 32754) that came out earlier, so that means the sidebar is still not fixed on that build.

EDIT:  I recovered from an older backup I made of the original settings.dat when I first started getting this bug and apparently its working, thanks to xriothhh for having brought that up. :D

I have tried your encapsulated method with a blank settings.dat file, it don't work either.  I accidently found a work around earlier tho while running encapsulated, I accidently blocked internet access to µtorrent in firewall and I was like "it works! it works! lol".  I go and look my torrents activity and figured it was not accessing internet, I looked in my firewall and it was blocked so I unblocked it and sadly the big sidebar came back.  So I figured it had something to do with one of their urls in Advanced parameters then I added *.bittorrent.com* to my firewall block list, it works that way.  I guess its good for a temporary fix while waiting on µtorrent devs to apply the real fix to µtorrent lol.  By the way I tried my original settings.dat with *.bittorrent.com* in firewall block list it don't work.  It has to be from a brand new settings.dat file, so you have to reconstruct from scratch.

Important to note that all these tests were done on the lastest beta (build 32754) that came out earlier, so that means the sidebar is still not fixed on that build.

Awesome going to add bittorrent.com to my router's dnsmasq config until IF/when they ever fix this. 

EDIT- Confirmed as working! http://i.imgur.com/mhRfM0k.png

Works even with existing settings.dat for me, and does not break updater either. 

Awesome going to add bittorrent.com to my router's dnsmasq config until IF/when they ever fix this. 

EDIT- Confirmed as working! http://i.imgur.com/mhRfM0k.png

Works even with existing settings.dat for me, and does not break updater either. 

Excellent!  I tried to recover an older settings.dat backup file I made the first time this bug happened on me and it worked. :D

Image showing it running from older settings.dat:

lrPkDbV.png

Wasn't there.  I am only a bystander.  TVTorrents states they have presented to problem to uTorrent and it has been ignored.  Whether this is the case or not, I do not know.  I just wanted to know if whatever problem existed on whoever's side of the aisle is resolved with the newest version.

I gather then that either uTorrent is unaware of the problem, or you simply don't know if the problem has been remedied.  They specifically state they have been told by uTorrent the problem is at their end not uTorrent's.  That would indicate that there has been communication between the two entities or alternatively somebody is not being completely truthful.  Again, I am not involved other than I use uTorrent a lot and I also use TVTorrents a great deal.  What suggestions do you have that I might relay to them to get the problem solved?

They specifically state they have been told by uTorrent the problem is at their end not uTorrent's.

Then it probably is unless they can provide actual proof otherwise (tracker announce logs vs what the client is actually doing). Most cases it's their code not handling high-value integers properly.

Honestly, http://ktetch.co.uk/2014/07/private-trackers-arent/

Then, and I ask out of ignorance, why do earlier versions (I am currently running 3.3.2) work?  It was only when 3.4.1 was used that the problem arose.  I am not a programmer and again I have no skin in this fight except that I would like to use the most current uTorrent, but it seems that a change in uTorrent precipitated the problem.

I understand, but again what would cause the problem to arise with a new version?  A difference is code, I suspect, but I could be wrong, and if the problem did not exist with prior versions, would not some of the problem then be caused by uTorrent?  Again, I ask out of curiosity and perhaps I can get TVTorrents to properly address the issue.  I do know that years ago when Microsoft first came out with IE5 Beta (I think, but it might have been another version, it was during the XP days, I believe) it prevented other programs from working (Broderbund's Calendar Creator to be specific) and it was only after the particular IE version officially released that Calendar Creator made the necessary modifications.  It had to do with an incompatible .dll file if I am not mistaken.

I've had the display problems with the latest upgrades like everyone has been reporting. But I've come across another issue and I searched around and I haven't anyone else reporting this.

My issue with the Labels drop box. When you open a new torrent, the dialog box pops and it has the dropdown box if you want to label the torrent. I label them by tracker name.

Anyway, ever since I upgraded to 3.4.2 (build 32506) all the labels in my dropdown box are sorted in reverse alphabetical order, going Z-A instead of A-Z like it always has been. I have since upgraded to 3.4.2 (build 32691) hoping that would resolve it but that didn't fix it.

Unless I am missing something, I don't see anything in the settings that would fix this.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix or workaround that can be done? It's obviously not a big deal but it is really annoying lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've had the display problems with the latest upgrades like everyone has been reporting. But I've come across another issue and I searched around and I haven't anyone else reporting this.

My issue with the Labels drop box. When you open a new torrent, the dialog box pops and it has the dropdown box if you want to label the torrent. I label them by tracker name.

Anyway, ever since I upgraded to 3.4.2 (build 32506) all the labels in my dropdown box are sorted in reverse alphabetical order, going Z-A instead of A-Z like it always has been. I have since upgraded to 3.4.2 (build 32691) hoping that would resolve it but that didn't fix it.

Unless I am missing something, I don't see anything in the settings that would fix this.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there a fix or workaround that can be done? It's obviously not a big deal but it is really annoying lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

uTorrent has lost the plot. Beta rubbish. They don't know what's happening with there own stuff. Time for competition. Too busy with ways to put more ads in their software.

Remade the settings file. Bundles keeps appearing.

Seriously?

Did you block cdn.ap.bittorrent.com in hosts as well?

1) Make sure uTorrent isn't running

2) Block in hosts

3) Then settings.dat (either new or from previous version e.g. 3.3.2.30586 if you have the file)

4) Launch uTorrent

Snap_20140804_23h51m25s_001_muTorrent3-4

I updated to build 32691 and the fucking bundles are STILL showing up everytime I start uTorrent. The 3 settings in advanced options keeep resetting to true.

What the fuck is this? Are they so incompetent they can't fix such simple thing?!

Why no notes up for 32691 yet?

The 3 settings in advanced options keeep resetting to true. What the fuck is this? Are they so incompetent they can't fix such simple thing?!

Did you need to ask?

I'm starting to wonder if they intentionally create bugs to drag the development process out longer so it makes it look like more work is being done than there actually is..
The amount of bugs created seemingly unrelated to the changes made is just staggeringly jarring.

Fix, fix, fix, fix, fix. < Insert appropriate f word here.

I guess I was just venting after all. I was sort of defending whoever is behind the program at least in my head for a long time despite being unhappy with all the adware shit they sneaked in it. I was patient for a long time too, especially after the talk about possible lite version true to the original version, but it's been what, two years since that, and during the last few months I figured they were more like just laughing us in the face instead of listening to anything. I have fuck all tolerance for that. I am glad I don't use torrents that much anymore, but it's obviously time to finally switch to an alternative which is developed by competent non-morons.

Any tips are welcome.

Archived