WebUI 0.388 and Chrome 33

TrondS

After Chrome updated to version 33, the WebUI 0.388 tab is acting sluggish - and in some instances crashes Chrome completely. I've tried it on 3 different computers, all with the same result. Is anybody else experiencing this?

Running Windows 7 x64 on all computers.

In the sense that if the WebUI is running in one of the background tabs for a while, and then when switching to that tab it loads really slowly, and sometimes it crashes Chrome - this only happens with the WebUI tab, and only in Chrome. Had to revert to using Firefox for the time being. Got 300+ torrens running.

- Using any Chrome extensions?
- How much memory is the WebUI tab using when you switch back (Shift+Esc in Chrome)?
- So when switching to the tab, it takes a long time to repaint? Or is the slowness impacting further actions after repaint (e.g. click/drag/scroll)?

- What's "a while"? Few minutes? Few hours?

Personally backgrounded WebUI with 500+ torrent jobs in the list for 30 minutes with 25+ other tabs open in Chrome, and still have yet to observe any slowness. Browser tab using < 30MB memory, so no leaks to speak of.

Edit: Alright so I think I just saw some Chrome slowdown when switching to the WebUI tab. Don't know what to tell you. That's something in Google's court. WebUI is constantly polling for changes from the WebUI backend -- every few seconds -- so it's possible that Chrome's just catching up to all the repainting that it needs to do. That is to say (and this is all speculation), when tabs aren't active, I'm betting Chrome doesn't repaint anything on the tab (because it's a waste of time if it's not even visible), so it probably just queues all changes up until the user reactivates the tab, at which point it evaluates all the changes and applies them. While it's evaluating, the entire browser just gets stuck.

One potential (untested) workaround might be... to just not background the WebUI tab -- keep it in a separate window or something. Obviously that's a silly thing to have to do, but again, it's a Chrome problem.

Archived