I seem to be having a really strange and weird issue with utorrent 3.4. Since a week, I'm unable to connect to seeds for torrents, and it only connects to peers. That too, only very few peers. Due to this, the downloads usually don't start, and if it does, the downloads only happen from peers and not seeds. Even when there are around 15000 or more seeds, it shows 0(15000). Also, magnet links have stopped working. Whenever i click on magnet links, it opens utorrent but the files within the torrent are never displayed even after waiting for hours. In spite of that if I begin the download, it just shows 'downloading metadata', and the the actual file download never starts. I use Windows Defender as my anti-virus, and have created exceptions for utorrent in WIndows Firewall. I have also forwarded ports properly in my router configuration. Running the tests from with utorrent (using setup guide) also shows 'Result: Port is open. Your network is properly configured'.

I tried doing lots of things (trying the latest beta version of utorrent, entirely disabling Windows Firewall, removing the router and directly connecting my PC to the internet cable etc and even reinstalling WIndows 8.1 OS) but nothing worked. Then I noticed something strange. I dual boot WIndows 8.1 and WIndows XP, and this issue is happening only in Windows 8.1. When I try to download torrents in Windows XP, it works perfectly normally. Also, within Windows 8.1, I noticed that all these issues I described only happens with public trackers. Everything works perfectly when I download from torrents using private trackers.

I seem to have completely run out of options, and I just can't understand what is wrong. Please help me out. If you require screenshots of any particular option screen in u torrent or any other info, I can post it. Thank you.

Sounds like a couple things could be happening

1> you're downloading torrents with faked seed/peer counts on them

2> your internet security software is improperly configured.

Thanks for the response, but let me explain it further:-

1) The torrents do not seem to have fake seed/peer count because the exact same torrents download without issue on Windows XP (which is installed on the same machine), and the issue is only with Windows 8.1. Even magnet links for the same torrents are working without issues on Windows XP.

2) As for internet security software, I guess the only part which can cause issues is the firewall. I use the built-in Windows Defender and Windows Firewall. I tried creating an exception for utorrent in Windows firewall and even disabled the firewall entirely, but still the problem persists. And i don't suppose it is a configuration issue with my router's firewall settings, because Windows XP(which uses the same router) is able to download without any issues.

Nope, overzealous antivirus can do it too.

But I have been using the same anti-virus (Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials) since several years, so if what you say is the reason, how can it start acting up suddenly? In that case, what do I need to do, to resolve this?

Do you have ANY remnants of norton or mcafee on the system?

Do you have anything like peerblock installed?

I haven't installed any of these on my own, but there may be some malware related to this (although that's unlikely). So how do I find out?

mcafee and norton are commonly preinstalled on computers and MUST be removed using their respective removal utilities, as their normal uninstall routines do NOT completely remove them.

Additionally, letting them expire and leaving them installed is actually WORSE for your system.

Mine is not a pre-built PC. I handpicked every component and built it myself. And obviously I installed a fresh copy of the OS. So there wasn't anything pre-installed.

Archived