Do you really care about your users?

iru

Installed latest version of utorrent against my better judgment.
My security program warned me about something utorrent extracted to a temp folder called "OpenCandy". "Application.Win32.OpenCandy.uet@1"

I know utorrent is paid for using ads. But do you really have to stoop so low as to include malicious advertisement software that are so dangerous that internet security programs warn you about them?

Do you really care about your users? Honestly?

First you include bloat, lots of bloat. Then ads. Blinding greed, evil company etc, etc.

Now you include malicious software?!

That is not a pattern of "We care about our users and their security".

Monitoring utorrent for a while and noticed utorrent is, even when the ads are turned off, downloading potentially malicious advertisement software.

For example:

"toolbar.benc"

"toolbar_offer.benc"

Checking the executable shows the malicious OpenCandy is still in the exe file. Ready to strike when the user isn't watching.

The exe seem to include javascript. The implementation of javascript is hard to do correctly and is an attack vector for a program that is run in the background on a computer.

Is BitTorrent company using passive aggressive tactics (aka the nag/frustration tactic) to make users buy the pro version? That I assume is free from malicious software.

Why do you not want, us users, as friends?

Why can't we be friends?

Why isn't simply using your software and checking your site from time to time good enough anymore?
Do you want my blood too?

You will probably will not get the answers you and so many are looking for.

The sugar coating has and probably will go on because of utorrent/bittorent popularity and the lack of knowledge most users have when it comes to unwanted/un-needed additional crap.

The answers range from:

-The client does what it has to do efficiently.

-Why complain when you're using it for free.

-Move on to a different client if you don't like it.

-They are drumming income to keep their lights on.

-There are options to disable most of the crap.

-Too Paranoid.

-etc., etc.

It is also very rare that a member of the dev/marketing team or someone that really knows the answers respond to this subject.

I wonder where you downloaded the software from?  Its most likely your problem. 

People will take utorrent or other useful, popular software and add a ton of bloatware to it, then give you a download link for it.  Cnet, Softpedia, etc are good examples for this. 

I've never gotten this additional software that you complain about, but then when i do use 3rd party sites i never choose "full install", I choose custom install and I don't select all the spyware, toolbars and other sht those websites tack on.

Never check "full install" with any software, always pick custom install, advanced install, w/e they label it as and then make sure the checkboxes for the shit progs like toolbars, change homepage, ect..  arn't selected.

I wonder where you downloaded the software from?  Its most likely your problem. 

People will take utorrent or other useful, popular software and add a ton of bloatware to it, then give you a download link for it.  Cnet, Softpedia, etc are good examples for this. 

I've never gotten this additional software that you complain about, but then when i do use 3rd party sites i never choose "full install", I choose custom install and I don't select all the spyware, toolbars and other sht those websites tack on.

Never check "full install" with any software, always pick custom install, advanced install, w/e they label it as and then make sure the checkboxes for the shit progs like toolbars, change homepage, ect..  arn't selected.

Well, were I you, I wouldn't be so quick or hasty to automatically knee-jerk and assume that it's "someone else's fault".  I downloaded MY version of uTorrent from here:

http://www.utorrent.com

And, um, I have it, too, sparky.  And trust me ... I **KNOW** what I'm talking about and too, I work with various types of software for a living, so it's not a question of me being a novice or an uninformed user.

So, I think I just rendered the entire point of your hugely antagonistic (and rather presumptuous) post moot. 

If I can, I'd like to direct your attention to the screenshot image I've attached below:

1zmdy8k.jpg

See right below the uTorret.exe file?  UM, YEAH.  Now ... how 'bout you just back on down off of whatever horse you rode in on and not be so quick as to point the finger at the user level?   MMMMMkaaaay?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived