Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zevel

Update does not work

Recommended Posts

Updating from within uTorrent doesn't work for me.

The automatic update check pops up, asking me if I want to update to the latest (beta) version, I click yes, then uTorrent closes and that's it.

I have to download and install manually from the web site.

This has been going on for at several versions now.

uTorrent is installed in the standard location.  OS is XP.

 

Please advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
uTorrent is installed in the standard location.  OS is XP.

From/to what uT version/build? What is your "standard" location? It probably relocates itself to %appdata% ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From/to what uT version/build?

 

I have the 3.4.1 beta, happens with every new build.

 

What is your "standard" location? It probably relocates itself to %appdata% ..

 

Not "my" standard location, the one uT wants to install in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the 3.4.1 beta, happens with every new build.

 

 

Not "my" standard location, the one uT wants to install in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

 

A corrupted settings file ? Try this:

 

Shutdown uTorrent.

Open setting.dat with BEncode.

Find the exe_path key and see if it is set to your exact install path

  if not - set the value to the fully qualified path for your installation.

Delete the .fileguard key

Save the file

Exit BEncode

Restart uTorrent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Rafi, but the exe_path matches the installation directory.

 

I did notice 3.4.1_30658.exe (and many previous ones) in the uTorrent\updates folder.  Is that important?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had this problem for ages now, any other tips? I tried BEncode but my exe_path is fine too. I think I've had this problem on and off for at least a year or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have this too. I need to delete updates.dat to resolve this. It started with one of the latest versions where the user had to do a fresh install. Here are examples from the site log:

 

Main focus of 3.4:
- Silent autoupdate.

IMPORTANT: You must uninstall previous versions first.

- This is a new build to test the silent auto-update.
- Please install using the default install path on Windows XP.
- You must uninstall previous versions first.

 

- Change: Uninstall older clients on update to 3.3.1+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites