Invisible window text

Macklegrey

For me, opening the menu "File / Add torrent..." and then pressing "cancel" fixes it, I can now again see all text.

Since the window that opens is part of the Windows 'Common Dialogs libraries' DLL, that's where I would start looking.

Where does uTorrent use COMMDLG? Especially in the 'preferences' part, is the call that uses COMMDLG exactly following MSDN specification? are you positive all language variables are filled with the language strings before the control is first bound (i.e. REALLY early)?

Hope this helps.

I reported this issue previously at http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=12424. Just wanted to follow up that the symptom hasn't recurred for me since then (July 19).

Was wondering if it has anything to do with my upgrading to IE 7 (beta 3) from IE 6 sp2. It's common sense perhaps to consider that uTorrent and IE are not related in any way; but IE 7 does give Windows a new GUI rendering engine, mainly the text. Again, I am not sure, this is just a thought.

Erm, I don't think µTorrent uses anything from Internet Explorer for rendering... it only uses some DLL from IE4 and above for some features (don't remember what anymore). Anyway it was happening before IE7 beta 3, and I had beta 2 installed without any issues. Might be something worth looking into for other people though, I guess.

This is happening on my computer as well. Hardware-wise, it's old, but it's running up-to-date XP pro, and software-wise is practically minimalist (500mhz Pentium 3, running as a server strictly for remote desktopping). The text doesn't appear while remote desktopping, nor on the actual computer, and I've tried multiple reinstalls and reboots to no effect.

For me, opening the menu "File / Add torrent..." and then pressing "cancel" fixes it, I can now again see all text.

That works for me as well, though it's still a bit of a pain :/

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be willing to bet that in most, if not all, cases the culprit is Norton or McAfee. The newer versions have a 'Buffer Overrun Protection' feature. When I disabled mine in McAfee, the dialogs showed up fine. When it was enabled, nothing. There was a similar issue with Acrobat. Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's nothing the authors of utorrent can do. The 3rd party vendor (Norton, McAfee, etc) will have to release a patch/upgrade that fixes it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. I searched for this problem and couldn't find it in the forum, a few days passed and I was Just about to start a new thread about the problem and then I did a google search and the first link related to this problem sends me to this thread. I guess my wording was different the first time I searched.

Changing to the xp theme did nothing for me.

The add torrent and cancel trick worked, with the only problem being the first dialog box which I now know wasn't all that important anyway.

Finally I, tried disabling buffer overrun protection in McAfee and now it seems to be working perfectly. Hope disabling that feature won't put my system at risk.

Thanks people.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived