Why is everyone using bitcomet!?!??!

Vike

It seems almost every torrent I download on the peers list, most of the users are ALWAYS bitcomet users! Don't people know bitcomet cheats, and if people understood the idea of how bittorrent downloading works and how the upload speed is supposed to get you a better download with respect to the torrent, maybe people would use other programs like utorrent. If not, maybe they want to cheat and screw over the rest of us :mad:

That's only on public trackers that you see tons of BitComet users. The private trackers I go to use µTorrent & Azures with the ocasional BitTornado.

Most people use BitComet because they're newbies/noobs who don't know how to use a different client or they know that BitComet cheats and thats why they use it. I keep BitComet installed myself, why? That's simple when I boot up a .torrent from a public tracker and it's mostly BitComet I start up BC aswell simply because I don't want my upload raped for using a client that plays fair. Then I seed with Azureus + stuffer to help non-BC users.

I post a lot over at the BC forums. And surpriseingly myself and others get a lot of people to use µTorrent. It's just the noobs that don't want to listen.

Over at my favorite private tracker Asian DVD Club we finally got a partial ban on BC, mainly the old versions. But stupid person after stupid person kept trying to defend BC, and most of them quoted the release notes trying to say that the DHT bugs were fixed. After instructing someone on how to rip the tracker off with DHT in 0.67 he told me thats not a bug its an exploit. And every new release was "perfect!" according to the the fanboys. Most of them were too stupid to use anything else. My favorites were the ones using old rumors as their defense. None of them liked being told how they were wrong.

Most did as the site suggested and converted to µTorrent. :-) And I use Azureus with stuffer to block every BitComet, BitLord, & BitSpirit (L)user.

Most did as the site suggested and converted to µTorrent. :-) And I use Azureus with stuffer to block every BitComet, BitLord, & BitSpirit (L)user.

The above posts pretty much said it all. However, uTorrent's measures of countering BC (or maybe it is just general aggressiveness) have been getting better over time. Either that or BC is cheating less than before. By now, I'd say you should give a serious shot at just going pure-uT, no "priming" or the like is necessary.

I notice that Chinese torrents tend to be far more dominated by BC users than one in English.

However, I disagree with stuffing the BC guys on a regular basis. In my experience, BC guys constitute both the best and the worst peers. They have their middles, but the middle segment (say 5-50KB/s) tends to be dominated by uT, Azureus, BitTornaedoes...

Those "best" guys make up any crime committed by the rest of the swarm. Your download easily ramps to 200K+ from that one guy, easily more than I get from an entire average (say about high tens to low hundreds of peers class) swarm. All when my UL flanks at 55 while DLing.

Since you probably aren't complaining when this happens, I think it a wee-bit hypocritical to ban them afterwards.

to make more people who can't read english to use µTorrent,

we should have the mainpage translated into several languages +

also in the html code have key words in those languages so that when they search on google etc

they will find this site :).

Just searching torrent, utorrent.com already comes in at 4th site from top (hm, this hasn't changed in a while...) =o

Too bad it comes ranks in the hundreds when you search bittorrent... but I wonder if SEO is really necessary. A bunch of sites already recommend µTorrent, and I'd say that's much more effective.

Just searching torrent, utorrent.com already comes in at 4th site from top (hm, this hasn't changed in a while...) =o

I believe that's because Google's support for non-ASCII characters is a bit.. weird. When people link to "µTorrent", it seems to consider it as two different words or something.

That's what I hate about Google. If you ever need to search for something non-ASCII or even non-alphabetical, you're fucked. It never seems to work properly (eg. folder paths, programming terms and stuff).

By now, I'd say you should give a serious shot at just going pure-uT, no "priming" or the like is necessary.

It depends on what is going on. At the moment I switch between two regex settings and now that I have some time I'm working on some better ones. One blocks all BC traffic, that includes BitSpirit & BitLord. The other only blocks 0.59 & all older versions.

However, I disagree with stuffing the BC guys on a regular basis. In my experience, BC guys constitute both the best and the worst peers. They have their middles, but the middle segment (say 5-50KB/s) tends to be dominated by uT, Azureus, BitTornaedoes...

Those "best" guys make up any crime committed by the rest of the swarm. Your download easily ramps to 200K+ from that one guy, easily more than I get from an entire average (say about high tens to low hundreds of peers class) swarm. All when my UL flanks at 55 while DLing.

Since you probably aren't complaining when this happens, I think it a wee-bit hypocritical to ban them afterwards.

If I'm blocking them from connecting then I don't get that download, thus no hypocritical action. ;) It really depends on the swarm & tracker weather I use µTorrent and just ul & dl like normal or Azureus with stuffer. Sometimes instead of using BC I'll even boot up BitTornado.

At this point in time my two big gripes with BC are the DHT bugs that allow people to cheat privte trackers and that manual connect button that newbies/noobs use to pound trackers, DHT, & everything else.

Spelling edit.

If I'm blocking them from connecting then I don't get that download, thus no hypocritical action. ;)

But I thought you said up there that you download with BC, so no stuffer. Only when you upload do you use Azureus with stuffer.

It really depends on the swarm & tracker weather I use µTorrent and just ul & dl like normal or Azureus with stuffer. Sometimes instead of using BC I'll even boot up BitTornado.

On the other hand, I've noticed that sometimes, just as you give up hope, the massive uploader comes along or finally gets around to talking to you.

• 3 weeks later...

People use bitcomet because they dont take the time to learn better.

I have it on my signature "Stop using bitcomet! It cheats." and I got one PM asking me how it cheats, and I told them. I try to make people switch to uTorrent or Azureus.

Archived