Got a red indicator and Im a dummy in need of help

moochadime

I can build computers and fix cars all day long but for the life of me when it comes to doing anything other then that on the computer I am lost and cannot concentrate and everything I read seems to be in a different language I just cannot comprehend.

I got a red indicator that says my ports are not open. I tried the speed checker and it says it cannot open it. I got to the places it tells me to and of course to do port fowarding my router is not one on the list. I have tried everything including turning off all my firewalls and yet it still cannot connect to the port and I get the red indicator. What in the heck am I doing wrong??? I have a netgear WGU624. I tried to port forward but get the message it must be on the same dns something or otherand wont allow me to add the port or ip addy in the speed checker thing. I have done everything shourt of pulling out the cable and going in direct from my dsl modem to my computer but then if I did that my kids and wife computers wont be able to go on the internet :P

So anyone else come into this trouble that would like to walk me step by step in english non computer mumbo jumbo go here click this that for me? I can give you automotive trouble shooting help if you help me with this :D

Thanks in advance!

You can find your router's IP and your computer's IP by doing start -> run -> cmd /k ipconfig

IP Address = your machine, Default Gateway = your router

Go to your router's IP in your browser, login (default pass is usually admin), look for port forwarding or virtual server, then just forward the port.

Well I did say I was a dummy when it came to this stuff and wasnt sure if I was supposed to use mine or utorrents one. Thanks for the help I got the port open and a green light. No diff in speeds though but its green which means good I guess :P

Thanks again!

Archived