DNS Breaks

Dragoon

Hi All, apologies if this is a known issue, but I've done a search and looked at the FAQ and can't find anything.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and ZoneAlarm through a Netgear 834 Wireless Router/DSL modem.

The problem I have is that soon after I start utorrent the DNS on my machine breaks completely (for every program on my machine). I can still download torrents from peers identified before it breaks however. The bandwidth is nowhere near saturated, so its not just a matter of DNS timing out.

Even after I quit utorrent the DNS is still broken (requires a restart on my PC to get it working again). It seems to be some sort of windows driver issue, as I can still resolve DNS on my Laptop while utorrent is running on my PC. To date the PC has not had any issues with DNS breaking.

Has anyone come across this or know a solution to it? or have any suggestions?

(I haven't tried other BT clients for a while so I don't know if these are causing the same problem - I can try it this evening if anyones interested - but my Laptop runs BitTornado without the same issues)

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't changed net.max_halfopen, and the connections were lowish (around 40-50). I realise the router isn't the best but its adequate and still works fine through the laptop when DNS breaks on my PC.

I'll try the other suggestions tonight. Is anyone able to recommend a program similar to ZoneAlarm which may not have the same problems? (from looking at the web it seems it can cause a variety of issues with BT clients).

Cheers.

Archived