uTorrent 100% clone will be builded

venekirsa

uTorrent is best torrent client but it is not open source, so my one of my friend from Sweden planned to make 100% clone exept client and http id changer will be added. I think too there must be so good client open source. I definitely support her with a money. Current world must be open source like vlc, mplayer, reactos, linux.

So what do you think about opensource clone of utorrent.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does uTorrent go opensource later and when (faq said that µTorrent will remain closed ......) year or 2 or never, just tell final answer. Client spoofing is good sometimes when tracker block it. My local tracker blocks utorrent and only accepts azureus and this is private tracker. We must do 100% utorrent clone because this is best.

if a certain client is banned, i'm sure there is a reason for that (most of the times, when the admins' heads arent in their asses)

spoofing sux

vanekirsa, which country is that?

Sweden, Estonia, Portugal and UK, they all are different trackers what i know. Portugal tracker closed and i can tell that it used XBT clients with http and peer id: xbtx45446, now you can see why is id changing important. Looks like we thinking about it and perhaps help improve XBT client with lot of money and collect developers if we are ready. Perhaps clone wont come this time.

Merged double post:

Final is that this developer who want make clone changed mind when i talked little bit that xbt is c++ client too and i told her that is better ipmrove XBT not be monkey and clone uTorrent. Keep developing Ludde because this is best in size and all needed features, i only allow currently use uTorrent client on my shared internet (next month wifi area too) because it wont overload my network like bitcomet and bitspirit.

i dont think ludde got rich because of utorrent.. he gets some money to help him keep the project alive

i dont want it to go open source.. it would be better if the project dies :P

open source means everyone could mess around with it and make it do stuff it isnt supposed to, thus throwing mud in the real client's reputation. there will be modifications, plugins, extensions for cheating, banning and stuff like that

the developer is the only person who should see the code and interfere with it.. if he does something wrong, the client will deservedly get banned

i want to ask a question all of those people who say "open source rlz" - why? what would u earn if it goes open source?

i think u'll lose more than u'll earn

heh.. kids.. open-source is a synonymous of perfection

but how many people can edit it.. I know many people who themselves called programators and they have problem with sorting array :) .. I know many people who wants only download. They don't know nothing about torrent protocol.. They don't care in which language is client written. C++, Java, Python who care, they want only user friendly iterface and low HW requirements.. I want it for learn something new and try to make my own client. But I little bit edited Azureus and probability that I wrote client in Java is 0 ..

that's useless.. u cant expect learn something from a completely finished program (with 50 000+ lines of code)

the users shouldnt care about the source code or the programming language.. that's why it's called a user (because he uses the program :P) - he only uses and nothing else.. if someone of u wants to be a developer he may try talking to ludde

developer != user

user != developer

when a normal user becomes a developer nasty things may happen.. fuck open source

dAbReAkA, you dont know what you talking... Before till I edit Azureus, I dont know nothing about java..now I understand how it work but I would never write something useful i java. And if you so hate open source, just ignore it and dont swear that open source is bad.

that's useless.. u cant expect learn something from a completely finished program (with 50 000+ lines of code)

Sure you can. If you're implying that there's no way you could possibly get your head around something that huge, well that depends on the organization within the code and the documentation and comments. Besides, 50k lines isn't that big at all compared to many open source projects out there.

the users shouldnt care about the source code or the programming language.. that's why it's called a user (because he uses the program :P) - he only uses and nothing else.. if someone of u wants to be a developer he may try talking to ludde

developer != user

user != developer

when a normal user becomes a developer nasty things may happen.. fuck open source

Now, this doesn't make any sense at all. Are you saying that ludde can't use utorrent because he's the developer? Microsoft employees aren't allowed to use Windows XP? Google employees should use Yahoo?

I agree that ludde should have control over who can see and modify the code, because it is his code and so far he's done an excellent job with it. I also concede that there are people who would abuse the source if it were released, and would damage the uTorrent reputation. However, that's not to say that there aren't many other useful additions that could be made by other people out there who want to see uTorrent reach its full potential.

As for the last comment in your post... what do you have against open source? Sure, there are a lot of projects that are crap, but there are plenty that are way better than any commercial app out there. Don't hate just because you don't care for a single project.

i use open source projects.. so what? if anyone wants to contribute to the project, he may post his feature request and ludde will possibly fulfill it

if there are other people that can fulfill the job better than ludde has and continues to, they should create their own "better" client.. the users will choose the better one.. they may also contact ludde and work together, he may expose parts of the source code to them.. it has to remain secure.. revealing the code will do more harm than good, i'm sure

utorrent's purpose is not to educate people how to code but to serve them well in terms of torrenting

people should educate themselves somewhere else.. i'm sure there are books, ebooks, tutorials and other stuff for that purpose

if u combine those 2, u may kill the first one

Mother of all media players is Mplayer and VLC, these are best open source programs i have ever seen. Others opensource best programs is PHP(master of current web), MySQL, ReactOS (no more Bill power and bugs), ofcourse LINUX, Firefox and lots of other apps from Sourceforge. I use only opensource apps except Bill XP but later ReactOS takes over.

Archived