uTorrent 100% clone will be builded

venekirsa

An open source Bittorent client and an open source Multimedia player are two very different things.

You can screw around with the Multimedia player as much as you want, it'll only help/harm yourself.

With a bittorent client, it'll allow you to make things better for yourself... And screw up everyone else

*cough* Hacked-BC-clents *cough*(As if the regular one isen't bad enough as it is)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About open source being good or bad depends on what you are talking about.

For example, the various linux distros are open source which is great because people can help

to fix security bugs and improve various aspects of the distro etc.

But when it comes to P2P and security programs (anti-virus etc), open source is no longer a good idea.

For example, I give you 2 reasons why it's bad when it comes to P2P programs =

1. People creates clones with spyware and or other sorts of malware.

2. People creates clones that cheats

it depends on the program

there's nothing wrong if a download manager goes open souce.. how could it hurt anyone, except the user using it? just like Yenkaz said..

but what if someone decides to create his own modification of utorrent to cheat, ban, and such dirty stuff

we wont be able to trust it anymore.. u cant trust an azureus client.. most of us have seen that screenshot of a plugin with various options that help u cheat without been caught..

"people can fix .." - most of the people i know cant write a small dos-calculator, let alone fixing bugs.. we dont give a shit about that "open source advantage".. use the program, if u dont like it, make ur own or use another one

if anyone wants customization, i think ludde provided enough of it for us.. skins change, icons, even translations in 40 languages.. that's enough

Anyone can take Az and change it to say it's uT.

Which is' date=' as previously explained, why an open source P2P client is a bad idea.[/quote']

i said uTorrent won't change this with closed source policy, if anyone want cheat then she uses azureus thats all but most people use it for good and they want share files.

Open source lives forever? Why don't you go look through the projects at sourceforge, see just how many are dead. Any program/project can die or continue. It just comes down to the people working on it and weather someone is smart enough to ask to take over a closed source project.

@venekirsa:

"Oh, this application doesn't do very much, but because it's open source, I'll choose it over that closed source one that's free and has many more features." (Note: This hypothetical quote doesn't refer to any client in particular, especially not Azureus xP)

Open source doesn't guarantee that a project will continue to be developed. It guarantees that the source is available for someone else to develop. How can you guarantee that someone is willing to continue it? And how about people who write the messiest, ugliest, and least understandable code known to man, and open sources it? I doubt anyone would be willing to continue such a project, and it'd probably be easier to start from scratch and take ideas instead.

Saying that open source lives forever, while potentially true, isn't necessarily true in all aspects.

umm, open source is sometimes good... but not in this case!!!

it's closed with reason - that somebody can't easily crack it and report wrong data to tracker... and reporting wrong data is bad because it hurts community and the trouble is that torrent protocol doesn't implement cheating detection...

That's why it must be better (it is) than others to take users from those open-source (commie) clients...

• 3 weeks later...

"Reason for these client bans are because they are crappy clients and dont report right or report way to much."

I assume they know what they're talking about as they run the tracker.

I also assume that the fine members of that particular community have all patched their Az's to screw the system which harks back to the perils of open source.

The azureus patching programs to hack your Azureus come out fairly immediately after major Azureus version releases. Because of this, it is hard for tracker admins to trust Azureus reported stats. It is not just a few, it is very many who cheat. I've been the only seeder or the main seeder (the other seeders were very slow) so I've had MANY opportunities to see the stats on torrents where the users report excessively large upload rates (like a semi-randomized 5X or more of actual upload rate). Since my seeding client is connected to all of the users on my torrents, I have an idea of how much upload there was on those torrents. It is scary to see how many cheats there are.

So I do not recommend that uTorrent make it any easier for hacks to be released. There is already too much hacking going on. The hackers would love to get a hold of a thin client like uTorrent instead of having to deal with Hogzureus. I say, let the hackers stay with BitComent and Hogzureus.

• 1 month later...

transmission is a fast cross-platform client licensed under the mit license. have your friend take a look at that. development is slow and it's missing many important features so another developer or a project fork would be welcome to us users. i can't wait any longer for a mac version of utorrent :(

Archived