Goodbye Old Friend

mikeloeven

I am writing this to say goodby to utorrent. For years it has been the best of the best however I feel like i should explain why i decided to stop using utorrent.

i have put up with alot in the recent years. the selling out the advertisements and the removal of the apps some of which were actually usefull. however i can no longer use the program because of a recent  change that dispite public outcry has not been fixed. and that is the inability to choose the instalation directory of utorrent. I stuck with utorrent for a few more updates hoping that this would be fixed but i cannot wait any longer. when you remove a users right to choose where and how a program is installed on their private computer while at the same time removing the last remaining shreds or portability. yes i used to install utorrent onto a flash drive which is no longer possible.

the reasons given for this change were ease of updates and not having to worry about UAC. while this is fine and good for DEFAULT settings the lack of advanced instalation options means that bad coding practices are being forced on users who done nesicarially give a damn. and to be blunt no executable program should ever EVER EVER!! run from appdata. If utorrent wasent such a well known program you would be asking for false heuristic positives from alot of anti virus programs simply because nothing shoudl be running in that directory. This is basic windows 101.

Even worse the out right hostility of the utorrent developement team and moderators any time someone makes a legitimate complaint about the direction the software has been going has hindered any kind of real change. Untill Utorrent realises that it has strayed far from it's roots and takes a step back to better times i can no longer utalize or support the developement of the application and it is a shame because i will be hard pressed to find something that combines the ease of use with the advanced features that made utorrent the best.

Now they are locking the threads of any questions about the new popup notification advertising.

I have been constantly telling people, online and off, that uTorrent has gotten much better. That it's back to being stable and a nice experience again. Now I'm awaiting many embarrasing moments once everyone sees the popups.

The bundle thing is a dumb bug and should be fixed shortly. http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/90806-utorrent-popup-in-system-tray-announcing-new-album-released-new-feature/#entry484756

As for choosing an installation location, it was removed yes. It simplifies the installer code greatly, and makes updates significantly easier. It's in line with Chrome and other applications to install in AppData.

If you run it in standalone mode (have settings.dat and the other files in the same dir as the exe), you should still be able to run it from where you like.

I said goodbye to utorrent today too. I actually posted using 'Deadharbor' earlier today but was banned cos I lost my temper when the mod kept telling me to 'read the thread before posting' when I had already done that, several times, and even searched the faq and the whole forum without finding a working solution. I was baffled, wondering what simple solution I was missing, and angry at the mod for locking all the topics on this issue and deleting my posts.

I was too impatient and behaved badly, but the mod was also rude and handled the situation poorly. Well all that's past now. Just want to thank utorrent for its many years of service. I used it for like, I don't know, probably 10+ years or maybe more. But I was so mad today and uninstalled utorrent completely, removing all trace with an uninstaller. Sorry to say that I won't be installing it again. I've found a lighter, friendlier, ad/bundle/whatever-free torrent app and I'll be using it from now on. I wonder why I had waited so long.

I wrote this only because I felt I owe utorrent at least a thank you after using it for so many years. I also hope the developers would think about making utorrent a simple and clean software again.

Archived