very slow downloads

brang

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no clue if this will help, but I was having similar speed problems and i did the following:

Preferences --> Bandwidth --> "Disable the "Apply rate limit to uTP connections" option ( under the Global Rate Limit Options subheading).

This fixed my issues (went from ~5-20kb/s to 200-500kb/s +). Hope it helps! 

Absolutely perfect. I was stuck with 10kb/s downloads for half a month. Now it's gone back up to the usual 1-2Mb/s... just made this account to say thanks a lot!

*Edit - it actually doubled to almost 4Mb/s. You, sir, are a genius.

• 4 weeks later...

Disabling apply rate to utp does fix the slow download speed issue but causes another issue. Utorrent now ignores my bandwidth limit settings so hogs all my bandwidth. This means I cannot really use the internet while utorrent is running. Had this issue with the last few updates.

Gone back to utorrent 2.2.1. Wow this version reminds me why I liked utorrent in the first place. Everything works as it should. No ads (I know they can be removed in settings), no trying to install crapware during the install process. Very light on system resources. UI was a little ugly back then though.

I am using the exact same settings with the old version that I used with the new version so something has changed with one of the updates. Why the same settings work differently on different versions baffles me.

The old version works great with default settings. I just change download folder and some ui stuff.

The fact that these changes don't affect everyone does suggest that the problem is at my end.

Will keep trying the new versions when updates are released.

I have no clue if this will help, but I was having similar speed problems and i did the following:

Preferences --> Bandwidth --> "Disable the "Apply rate limit to uTP connections" option ( under the Global Rate Limit Options subheading).

didnt work on this settings, still the same on transfer rate.

My download speed has been dragging around 120kb and it shows my limit as 4 mb. I used the 

and it jumped nack up to 3 mb but for only one download and now its dragging again i checked to make sure the setting was still checked off and it was but now I dont know what to do next. Any ideas?

My download speed has been dragging around 120kb and it shows my limit as 4 mb. I used the 

and it jumped nack up to 3 mb

Meaning - your limit is set to a wrong value :P

• 1 month later...

Thanks man, this really works for me too.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, I made an account just to comment on this. This is THE ONLY thing that worked. I went from 2-56kbs to 2-7.4MBs. I don't know why the heck this box is ticked whenever you install uTorrent, but they need to quit it. lol. Thank you SO MUCH for letting us know what worked for you.

WOW, I made an account just to comment on this. This is THE ONLY thing that worked. I went from 2-56kbs to 2-7.4MBs. I don't know why the heck this box is ticked whenever you install uTorrent, but they need to quit it. lol. Thank you SO MUCH for letting us know what worked for you.

And what was your *rate limit* set to?

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Primordial Being! You have stumbled upon Gold!

Bro Thank You! My speed just went from a couple of bps to couple of hundreds! Just like it was earlier! Thank you!

Hello there? I have the same problem as most of you. Before I edit my settings of mu utorrent, it is working fine enough from 100kbs/s-300kb/s. Which is way better than now, i only have 27kb/s maximum. I tried all the tips and settings given on the topic but still nothing works. I also tried re installing.( I have now 3.4.2 the latest ver.) and still nothing happened. I also tried using vuse. but the same result, so i switched back to utorrent. It sucks that i need to wait for 13hrs to finish a 800mb movie. Is there my be a problem on the setting of my computer? is there any connection there? please help. and by the way, my net speed is only 1mbps in the morning and it goes up atleast to 2.5 in the evening. Please help guys, I'm out of options here :mellow:  

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...

I made an account to thank all those who gave valuable information in this thread. Good work guys!

With that said, none of it worked for me permanently. At best I had my speeds back to normal for a few minutes. Glasnost says my ISP does not throttle, and I'm inclined to believe them because another torrent program is working just fine.

The vast minority of users of almost any program will visit that program's forums to troubleshoot. If they have trouble and they can't fix it they will move on. I have been a dedicated user of uTorrent for years, but the headache of figuring this out is not worth the loyalty to me. I bring this up just to make this point: Just because fixes do exist out there doesn't mean the average user should be expected to find them. While the short term fixes found in this thread are great, I hope the fact that newer versions of uTorrent are causing issues is not being overlooked!

Thanks again for the hard work everyone, this wasn't meant to insult or threaten in any way I just wanted to say that relatively few users will even go looking for these fixes before they uninstall and move on so I hope work is being done at the root of the issue and I can use uTorrent again one day as easily as I have in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks man! Created an account just to say thank you. 

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much, sir~!! You are my hero for today~!!

Archived