Use a unique identification string for beta & nightly releases

bottlerockets

It has come to my attention that the latest 3.4.1 stable, beta, and nightly releases all use the same -UT341- peer identification string, which makes it difficult for torrent sites which use a client whitelist to allow the stable releases while still prohibiting the use of beta or alpha torrent clients on their tracker. Some may choose to not allow 3.4.1 at all because of this, which causes problems for users who automatically update their client or assume that new versions will always be allowed. May I suggest going back to the format with -UT3410-, -UT341B- and -UT341A- prefixes for stable, beta and alpha releases?

Not sure if it's related, but it seems like the first character after the version prefix is always %00, and the user agent in 3.4.1 contains some weird number like (109148100).

It has come to my attention that the latest 3.4.1 stable, beta, and nightly releases all use the same -UT341- peer identification string, which makes it difficult for torrent sites which use a client whitelist to allow the stable releases while still prohibiting the use of beta or alpha torrent clients on their tracker. Some may choose to not allow 3.4.1 at all because of this, which causes problems for users who automatically update their client or assume that new versions will always be allowed. May I suggest going back to the format with -UT3410-, -UT341B- and -UT341A- prefixes for stable, beta and alpha releases?

Not sure if it's related, but it seems like the first character after the version prefix is always %00, and the user agent in 3.4.1 contains some weird number like (109148100).

I have an issue with this as well.  A tracker that I use will not add stable version 3.4.1 to the whitelist because the new beta version has the same identification string as do the new "minimally tested and unsupported" nightly builds.  Hence, if they added the stable release, they would be adding the beta and alpha versions at the same time.  I do not want to downgrade to 3.3.2.  Is there any chance these identification strings can be changed on the beta and alpha versions?  Please reply, thanks

Hey, are you guys ever going to address this issue? For all the hubbub made in another thread about how tracker staff "never" contact you about bugs, you sure like to ignore the issues that -are- reported. This shouldn't even be a difficult thing to fix, and it would be an immense help. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Can developers please take this issue seriously? There are trackers out there that are blacklisting newer versions of uTorrent because the strings for stable versions are not unique from beta/rc/test versions. Please listen to your userbase.

Tightly maintained trackers need to be able to properly differentiate between which clients are being used and in what state of development they are in.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears this was fixed in 3.4.2. Changelog:

-- 2014-05-29: Version 3.4.2 (build 31515) Stable
Change: Client now indicates non-stableness with a 'B' e.g. -UT341B- in Peer ID
Fix: Resolve antivirus compatibility issues
Fix: Added information dialog after clicking on Help->Download Translation
Fix: Regression in labels feature
Fix: Crash when removing trackers with confirmation dialog enabled
Fix: DHT regression
Fix: Secondary sorting which is set by shift+click on a column header
Fix: Incorrect text in the uTorrent Remote username/password notification dialog
Fix: Crash when downloading in Compact Allocation mode
Fix: Crash parsing malformed DHT messages
Fix: Crash when writing resume file for torrent with no metadata
Fix: Crash when not removing torrents from the fairlist
Fix: Multiple other crashes

Archived