Torrented 300 gigabtes, will i get caught?

HairyBoehner

So I used 325 out of my 300 gb limit usage by Cox Internet in 1 WEEK of torrenting. I did not know about this until they sent me an email telling me I went over my monthly allowance. Now I am paranoid and scared that the police are going to track me down and arrest me. I'm only 16 and I am scared. I was just torrenting magic dvds and I torrented over 300 gb worth.

I don't know your service provider & it looks like your American & so I may not be of much help,but..........

Here in the UK you can download Unlimited & the police never get involved.

You may want to ask your parents to change to a better internet service provider who don't cap you or charge you for going over the "outdated allowance"

honestly..  really?  Utorrent is only software which permits you to download using your internet providers service, which they are paid for you to use.  Coincidently you have used it, possibly beyond the measures and limitations listed in the fine print unsigned service agreement which they may or may not enforce or change without notice, downloadding data which they don't care is copyrighted or not and probably packet filtering to eliviate the bandwidth overusage and to censor what protocols people are easily using through the internet service.

If you have broken any laws, I am certain that nobody cares, and if it was severe enough for someone to care, it likely won't be fiscally benefitting enough to pursue due to your age.  Money speaks volumes in law, and if you don't have much of it, well, you either end up in the clink or nobody even bashes an eyelash at ya.  Thats  even if the law applies to your region.  (Thats what the secret societies are working to absolve)..  To the end, your comment doesn't belong here in my opinion.  Neither does mine actually.

You only have to worry if you're downloading copyrighted material-which I'm assuming you are. THAT is against the law, but I must admit most people on here do it-I know I do. First off, you should download Peerblock which helps when downloading copyrighted material. It's easy to use, just read instructions after downloading, and just start that program before you start downloading torrents. It helps but it is not foolproof. Second, if you download older material there are less people monitoring and you are less likely to be found. Thirdly, I don't know of your ISP but my provider which is through my cable company sends letters of warning out to their customers saying you have been found out by "so and so" (the copyright holder) WAYYYYY before any action is taken. I have received, like an idiot, about 10 of these letters over the past 5 years and no action has been taken. Your ISP is on your side by the way, and they send these letters because they are bound by law to do so. If you call them and ask they will tell you if they have been sent notification about your usage and then they'll tell you not to do it again. Fourthly, you're 16 years old. No court is going to convict on such a minor 1st offense. Technically, they can go after your parents, but realistically it's ridiculous.

So, don't lose any sleep and be careful.

i'd be more worried about your internet provider (ISP) terminating your contract.

some ISP's have p2p file sharing in their fair usage policy, using p2p may be in violation of their service. 

there are a lot of people using p2p sharing programs, i doubt very much that you will be in any trouble with police or such, unless you have a huge amount of files and are uploading vast amounts of copyrighted content. 

Archived