Trying to maintain a > 1:1 share ratio

TrevorS

Problem is that many downloads are either over seeded, or under demanded.  If over seeded, one may not be able to achieve UL.  If under demanded, then one may be limited to a zero or dribble of UL.   I have modest HDD space available for torrenting, so if allocated space isn't materially advancing, it's hard to justify maintaining the allocation.  How do others deal with this dilemma?

PS -- For example, I currently have two torrent file/s saved for hopefully future seeding.  Problem with both is they were hard/slow to DL, but post DL, difficult to find demand for -- either due to new seeders, or just lack of demand.

One way to get a chance to UL is to offer something new to a tracker that people want.  Some private trackers have a way for you to announce your offer before finalizing it so you can get a sense for how much interest there will be for your collection of files.  Thus, you can increase your UL by constantly offering new content to the tracker instead of attempting to seed existing torrents on the tracker.

Another way is to seed existing torrents on the tracker that have few seeds or few peers.  On a number of trackers, you receive bonus points the length of time you seed regardless of whether a peer connects to you or not.  These bonus points may be traded for UL credit.  Some torrents have a multiplier bonus that will  boost your UL further.  With low demand torrents, you have absolutely no idea when a peer will connect to you, so you need to always be available for them.  This means you seed continuously.  Also, do not rely on one or two torrents.  Having many low demand torrents seeded (i.e. 100) will increased you chances of getting peers (i.e. 6 average throughout the day) connected.  Adding an external USB hard drive to your system can give you the capacity to seed more torrents.

Lastly, you can try keeping your DL as low as possible.  Try collecting the files you use for seeding from public trackers or FreeLeeches.

Archived