[SOLVED] Forward magnet links from firefox to utserver on Lubuntu

I recently installed utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3 on my installation of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS and got it working just fine with the loading of torrent files from the directory specified in the settings, but I cant figure out how to forward magnet links from Firefox to utserver. I tried pointing firefox to "/usr/bin/utserver" but nothing happened, I tried searching on Google for a solution but only found pages where they were talking about utorrent through WINE and everyone telling them to just use Transmission instead, but i'm familiar with utorrent so i want to stick with utorrent (not to say that anyone here would tell me to use transmission).

So my question is... is it possible to forward magnet links from firefox to utserver or am I S.O.L.?

DreadWingKnight:

Any idea where I can find such a program for Linux/Ubuntu?  I searched for it in the forums but only found uTorrent adder for windows.

dsm1212:

I can access the webui and add magnet links manually that I copied via right click "copy link location" without issue, but I want to be able to click the magnet link in Firefox (such as those found on The Pirate Bay) and have them forwarded to uTorrent in the same way Firefox forwards magnet links to uTorrent in windows.

After doing a little searching around with Google I found a workaround in the form of an add-on for Firefox named Magrent (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/magrent/) which adds an option to the right click context menu that converts magnet links to .torrent files and downloads it, I then set utserver to load .torrent files from my downloads directory, which then solves my problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, it was much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

0) uncompress the attached magnet.tar.gz in one of your folders, and modify settings.py

1) write "about:config" in firefox address  bar

2) Right click > New > Boolean

3) enter new boolean value called  network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet  and set it to false

4) when you open a magnet link you will be prompted with a Launch Application dialogue box, select the magnet.sh

5) enjoy

magnet.tar.gz

• 2 months later...

Archived