utserver stop? can't shut down PC properly...

MetZen

Hello, I'm willing to use utorrent-server under linux mint 16 cinnamon. My current version is utorrent-server-alpha-v3_3.

The problem is that there's no way to stop it other than killing the process, otherways when I try to shut down linux it would stay forever on with a black screen. The same happened with v3.0.

Also it's consuming about a constant ++/- 80% of the resources from my core 2 duo 2.4ghz, with the fan very loud, even though it's downloading just at about +/- 50 kb/s all the time, I think it shouldn't be.

Is it safe to kill the process?

Last time I forced shut down I lost the utorrent settings, proxy and all.

Is there a way I can stop utserver safely?

I've used for earlier versions a start/stop script from a blog I found, but when I used it to stop utserver it didn't allow me to shut down either.

What might be the cause for linux not shutting down while utserver on?

Thanks

'Killing' processes is an acceptable way to stop processes in Unix-like operating systems.  It's a matter of which signal you send to the process; you have a choice with the 'kill' command.  I would send the TERM/terminate (15) signal to the utserver process; that will signal it to shut down gracefully.  Try to avoid sending the KILL signal (9) to it, since the OS will terminate it without letting it shut down gracefully.  I don't know what you mean by "forced shut down"; does that mean sending it the KILL signal?

If the utServer process doesn't die when you want to halt your computer, then you can kill -9 it, but first try to stop it in a way allowing for graceful shutdown.

If you are running it in the foreground of a command tool, you can also press control-C to stop that process.

Thx for answering and for the kill -15 process ID tip! looks good and does the job.

I'm so insistent about utserver coz it's the only one I could manage to make it work over my http proxy, so I'm glad it's rocking on!

By force linux shut down when I get this black screen I mean pressing the start/shutdown button from my laptop for a while until it halts, it would be like disconnecting it from AC power and taking the battery off. So it's a bit drastic when less (don't know if that expression is valid in english ^_^), and I'm not willing to do it very often.  :wacko:

Thank you and best wishes.

Archived