New Client Installer

brometheus

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88607-34x-stable/?p=489429

@talkingprawn : You are going to fix it, and make it at least backward compatible, right? That is before improving/fixing the standalone issue. It seems you've broken it :(

You failed the basic test - run with the settings and see that it does not work... Simple.  And from ANY previous release.  You do this test with any new release, Right?...  :)

Any what about the changelog? Didn't you submit it to be published with this release????

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88607-34x-stable/?p=489429

@talkingprawn : You are going to fix it, and make it at least backward compatible, right? That is before improving/fixing the standalone issue. It seems you've broken it :(

You failed the basic test - run with the settings and see that it does not work... Simple.  And from ANY previous release.  You do this test with any new release, Right?...  :)

Any what about the changelog? Didn't you submit it to be published with this release????

Sorry Rafi, the change log didn't push as I intended it to last night.  Should pop in a moment.  On your main comment here though, I'm not sure I understand.  Are you referring to the known issue with standalone mode, or are you calling out a new issue?  We're definitely aware of the standalone mode issue and are working toward fixing that (thank you for pushing, I know it's important to you and I'm passing that through internally to get it done).  If you are referring to a different issue can you please clarify to make sure I get it?

Release notes are showing now.  Posting them here also:

-- 2014-06-21: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 31952)
- Includes all fixes from the latest stable build 31893
- Fixed Windows Security Zone problem with newly installed binary, to suppress the "do you want to run this file?" dialog.
- Fixed handling of running already-installed version during upgrade or downgrade install
- Added notification and confirmation for downgrade install
- Fixed a number of issues on XP install
- Altered the flow of the featured content offer
- Fixed display issues with version and product name in Registry

Known issues:

- We're hunting down some reports of script errors with IE7.
- "the file exists" error dialog shown and install fails when several install runs are started in a row on XP.
- XP uninstall sometimes fails with a "permission denied" error.
- Standalone method issue still not resolved.
- Uninstall currently does not shut down running client, causing files to be left after install.

- We're hunting down some reports of script errors with IE7.

As I mentioned on the beta thread, these script errors occur if you try to replace the executable (without using the installer option).

These are the 2 script errors I got, I dismissed them both (clicking No), then uTorrent opened.

(Additionally, this method wouldn't launch the Add New Torrent dialog box when clicking on magnet links).

Using Windows XP SP3. Although IE7 is installed, I don't ever use it. Mozilla Firefox is the default browser I use now.

EDIT: Running the 3.4.2.31952 installer, I get the same script error messages. After dismissing them (although Yes gives the same result as No), the installer runs with all the install options/offers that come with it... But even with completely new install, the Add New Torrent dialogue doesn't show when uTorrent opens after adding a magnet link. I've gone back to 3.4.2.31950 in the meantime.

post-211975-0-91503400-1403477413_thumb.

post-211975-0-45030100-1403477421_thumb.

If you are referring to a different issue can you please clarify to make sure I get it?

I am referring to the need to do thorough tests in this standalone mode,as we can also see in the above error reports...

Oh, can you provide a link to where we can actually *see* your changelog ? "Pushing" it to a black hole is not enough....

I am referring to the need to do thriugh tests in this standalone mode,as we can also see in the above error reports...

Oh, can you provide a link to where we can actually *see* your changelog ? "Pushing" it to a black hole is not enough....

Thank you for all the energy you're putting into this Rafi.  I posted to the change log, which is the "release notes" you referred to previously and which is linked to in your own signature in everything you post here on the forum.  Additionally I posted the exact same change log text here in the forum along with "known issues" including the well-known and discussed issue with standalone mode. Please let me know if there is anything more we could possibly do to be as transparent as possible in this.  And thank you for your patience!

The standalone fix should be coming soon.

The standalone fix should be coming soon.

Good... :) I'm holding up all updating until it comes. Also waiting patiently till the gui.show_plus_ upsell control re-introduced in beta 31918 - is integrated to the latest beta.

Hey all, thanks again for your patience.  We just released a new version of this beta thread:

Also live for a percentage of all beta downloads.

Here's the change log entry I posted:

— 2014-06-27: Version 3.4.2 Beta (<a href="http://http://download-new.utorrent.com/uuid/30b8f924-077b-4e23-890c-97059930afc3">build 32118</a>)
- Includes the latest stable build 32080
- This is an update to the new installer beta
- Now supports standalone and portable mode
- Significant fixes to UI display and overall functionality with IE7 installed
- Fixed uninstall issues in XP
- Fixed manual upgrade/downgrade behavior
- Fixed behaviors regarding install when another copy is running

Thanks again for your help in making this better, this current version should fix all the issues that have been raised.  I would be very grateful to hear about any display or functionality issues in the install or uninstall portion, no matter how small.

Stay human, and have fun.

As I mentioned on the beta thread, these script errors occur if you try to replace the executable (without using the installer option).

These are the 2 script errors I got, I dismissed them both (clicking No), then uTorrent opened.

Hey Mike, just a call out to you specifically because you had a pretty specific issue we fixed.  In addition to the standalone mode which should work perfectly now, we fixed the issues you saw with the IE7 engine.  If you're able, it would be a big help if you can try not only the "standalone replacement" issue you had but also run through a regular install to help verify that the IE7 fixes we put in place are working as expected.  You don't have to complete the install if you don't want to, but the more the merrier.

Thank you!

Hey Mike, just a call out to you specifically because you had a pretty specific issue we fixed.  In addition to the standalone mode which should work perfectly now, we fixed the issues you saw with the IE7 engine.  If you're able, it would be a big help if you can try not only the "standalone replacement" issue you had but also run through a regular install to help verify that the IE7 fixes we put in place are working as expected.  You don't have to complete the install if you don't want to, but the more the merrier.

Thank you!

Standalone mode works fine, as does running the installer (3.4.2.32118)

But I still have this problem  - the Add New Torrent dialogue doesn't show when uTorrent opens after adding a magnet link.

So I've gone back to 3.4.2.32099.

EDIT: I'm currently running 3.4.2.32119 which does show Add New Torrent dialog when adding magnet link.

I don't think you'll be able to check it up until both current and new releases (available from the update server) will embed this new installer in them.

I guess,talkingprawn , you'll have to provide two new releases, and set up a dedicated update server embedded in them for testing your work...

Standalone mode works fine, as does running the installer (3.4.2.32118)

But I still have this problem  - the Add New Torrent dialogue doesn't show when uTorrent opens after adding a magnet link.

So I've gone back to 3.4.2.32099.

EDIT: I'm currently running 3.4.2.32119 which does show Add New Torrent dialog when adding magnet link.

Thank you Mike.  Sorry about the Magnet link problem, and unfortunately if that is a current issue with a fix in progress in other betas it won't appear in our beta until it is released in stable.  Just to be sure though let me ask -- when you change versions here I assume you're just doing a manual replacement of the exe since apparently you're running in standalone mode.  Is that correct?  Please let me know if you're going through the graphical UI install process when you change versions, since that would suggest it could be an issue with the installer.  If you're just replacing, then it's a different issue.

when you change versions here I assume you're just doing a manual replacement of the exe since apparently you're running in standalone mode.  Is that correct?  Please let me know if you're going through the graphical UI install process when you change versions, since that would suggest it could be an issue with the installer.  If you're just replacing, then it's a different issue.

The magnet link issue I experienced appears to be fixed now with the last couple or so of beta releases, so everything is good. I'm currently running 3.4.2.32140 - and my method of updating IS replacing the .exe.

With regard to post #37 and uTorrent 3.4.2.32118:

Standalone mode was fixed (albeit with magnet links not working).

Running the installer also worked giving no script error messages which is what I was asked to try:

talkingprawn, on 28 Jun 2014 - 04:16 AM, said: You don't have to complete the install if you don't want to

Replacing the file is not how you should update when running standalone, that's a workaround since it broke.

It's not fixed, see my video how it should work (or, how you're supposed to update).

The magnet link issue I experienced appears to be fixed now with the last couple or so of beta releases, so everything is good. I'm currently running 3.4.2.32140 - and my method of updating IS replacing the .exe.

With regard to post #37 and uTorrent 3.4.2.32118:

Running the installer also worked giving no script error messages which is what I was asked to try:

talkingprawn, on 28 Jun 2014 - 04:16 AM, said: You don't have to complete the install if you don't want to

Thank you Mike!

Just released a new version of the beta, here's a copy of the change log.  Updated to the latest stable as always, and again I believe this addresses issues raised since the last release.  There was one issue with Magnet links being resolved in another thread, unfortunately I am not sure if that will be reflected in this beta -- but it definitely will be either in this copy or whenever that reaches stable.  Thank you all again for helping us move forward.

-- 2014-07-02: Version 3.4.2 Beta (build 32236)
- Includes the latest stable build released 2014-07-02
- This is an update to the new installer beta
- Fixed manual install upgrade/downgrade issue introduced in the previous beta release
- Fixed crashes reported on certain edge cases
- Fixed firewall rule management issues with XP
- General display adjustments and minor behavior fixes

Just released a new version of the beta

At time of posting, the link to 3.4.2.32236 (on the release notes page) is currently incorrect.

Here's the correct link:

http://download-new.utorrent.com/uuid/30b8f924-077b-4e23-890c-97059930afc3

When clicking on a magnet link with 3.4.2.32236, the Add New Torrent window doesn't show (for me, anyway).

Reverting back to 3.4.2.33203

The /recover switch (to start multiple instances) doesn't seem to work in the builds with the new installer. A message box pops up reading, "An older version of µTorrent is already running. Please shut down µTorrent and try again."

Archived