A week ago i was a seeding god...

AlmostFamous

But now, as you may have guessed, i'm not. I ran the dslreports.com test and found my upload speed was only 1/100 of my download!! It was 6000kb down/60kb up.

I also noticed that whenever i upload to more than 2 slots, my internet browser become EXTREMELY slow and often stops responding altogether. Like i implied in the title, a week ago i was uploading 300kB, now i can only upload 8-16KB and am forced to use only 2 upload slots.

My main concern, however, is why uploading to 3 or more slots absolutley kills my network (and by network i mean browsing speed). Keep in mind that i could upload 300kB not too long ago, so it was a recent change that caused my problem. Any ideas?

P.S. My light is always green, and i have no problem connecting to peers/seeders. However, my DL speeds are also down to about 25kB/torrent.

Is there anything else on your computer (or network of computers) that could be using up so much bandwidth that µTorrent cannot upload as fast as it used to?

Viruses and malware are only 1 possibility. Even some software/antivirus/OS updates can cause at least short bursts of internet traffic.

Get a traffic monitoring program (I use AnalogX Netstats Live) to see if the amount of bandwidth being used matches the amounts being used by µTorrent.

Well, it took five days, but the optimum online engineer guy finally called me back.

Firon was right, they capped my upload speed saying that leaving torrents on overnight was the equivalent of using your computer as a server (which apparently is a violation of the terms of service).

So he said that i should never leave a download on overnight. In fact he said that after every hour of seeding i should put my modem on standby for 5 minutes before starting up again. He wasn't very clear, but i believe he said it was better to upload at full capacity in one hour intervals than to upload at a choked capacity (say 7kB) continuosly (can someone verify this)?

After that spiel, he promptly uncapped me, and now i'm kind of scared to leave a download on overnight...

If you're using Optimum Online, then yes, they're capping your speed, and the only thing you can do is call them to get the speed they advertised to you. I really hate it when ISPs try to work around these things by taking a "technicality" stance on the issue. Sure, when you're using BitTorrent, you're serving data to other peers, and I guess you're considered a "server" for that reason, but what about any other form of uploading then? Browsing? Instant messaging? Are they not considered "serving" as well?

I used to work for Optimum Online. I use them at home still. The way they run shit is TERRIBLE. Don't tell them that you host any servers or use P2P software.

I'm upgrading to FIOS as soon as it is available in my area.

is it only for Optimum online or others like Qwest?

And if it does apply to qwest as well then should i go about it the same way, by calling them and telling them to fix it?

I would at least try. I called optonline and just said there was a problem with my upload speed. They "escalated" my problem to the engineering depatrment and said someone would call me back in 24-48 hours. 4 days later an engineer called me back, explained why i was capped, warned me, and then uncapped me.

It don't think it matters what you tell them. The engineer guy i spoke to said modem capping is completely automated.

Yes it is completely automated, and they don't even tell their techs what exactly will trigger the automatic cap.

What happens when you're capped is that they then escalate the ticket to the QoS team. Then the QoS team calls you back after a few days, and asks you a whole bunch of questions such as are you running servers? Do you use P2P? etc etc.

They are a very condescending bunch, and they do not have to uncap you. If you get capped so many times, they can basically tell you to get some other provider. *sigh* I await FIOS.

• 1 month later...

If someone did that to internet users in my country (UK) trading standards would put them out of business, have you considered suing them?

I don't know what the law is in america but here in order for them to say you "cannot download over night" there would have to be a clause in your contract that says "Users are not allowed to use bittorrent software to seed downloads between the hours of x and x, any such use will result in a capped service"

The fact that the guy has said "dont download overnight" rather than actually explaining the rate caps imposed could give you a case at least to just phone up and complain.

a 6000 / 60 connection is pathetic anyway. what good is that to anyone? lol

NTL started imposing a 70GB a month rate cap here once but there was outrage and it was promptly removed.

Generally, ISPs say that you can't use your connection to be a web host/server, they each might have their own definition as to what a host/server is. In the case of Optimum Online, being online 24/7 while sharing files is considered being a server, and so would be a breach of their agreement.

Generally, ISPs say that you can't use your connection to be a web host/server, they each might have their own definition as to what a host/server is. In the case of Optimum Online, being online 24/7 while sharing files is considered being a server, and so would be a breach of their agreement.

all the ISP's i've dealt with class a webserver as a HTTP or an FTP server.

Yeah, that's what I'd expect server to mean as well, but Optimum is known to do questionable things anyway (like capping your speeds lower than speeds for which you paid), so them twisting definitions wouldn't really be a big surprise to me.

Archived