Strange speeds

amf0802

I have a few interesting things happen to my torrent speeds. First let me preface with I have all ports forwarded and have downloaded/uploaded the last couple weeks relatively unalarmingly.

The first strange event is how my speeds seem to be spiking. The download with start at 2 kbps and steadily increase to around 30-50 kbps and then begin to steadily decrease again. When it reaches its minimum it begins to increase again. The speed chart on utorrent confirms this with the graph looking like a wave instead of a steady line. I don't know if this could be from how my download connection works, or if it is from how the uploader's connection works.

The other strange event is I noticed my speeds were teribbly slow over the last day. I would be connected to 2 or 3 seeds and 6-7 peers but my downloads would get over 2 kbps. I simply restarted my computer and with the same number of seeds and peers I can reach maximums over 100 kpbs (however still including the 'wavey' speeds mentioned above). The restart also sped up another download of mine, and also two torrents I'm seeding. What did the restart accomplish to increase my speeds tenfold?

Possible overloads are occuring on your router and/or modem...or even your computer if you're running Zone Alarm.

Try reducing connections, disabling DHT and UPnP (if you haven't already), and use the speed guide in µTorrent if you haven't already.

I have both DHT and UPnP disabled and have run the speed guide. I have the uploads maxed out according to numerous speed tests I tried. I also have chosen my connection type based off the same speed tests. All the network settings have been set according to the numerous posts and guides I have read. I am running Bit Defender 9 Internet Security, the firewall is set to allow all ICMP traffic.

Do the possible overloads explain the 'wavey' download speeds and also why I can restart the computer or torrent download to increase my download speeds? I don't really understand what a possible overload is, nor do I understand how that could be causing my strange speed issues.

Anoather strange occurence. I just checked my speeds by trying a torrent from http://bittorrent.ccc.de:2342/, a link I got from another post in this forum. With this one I sustained speeds over 150 kbps for nearly 5 mins before I stopped it. So obviously everything is set up correctly, should I just assume that the seeds and peers I'm connected to for my other torrent are just really this slow?

I don't think this could be a problem. I live in an apartment complex so I'm connected to a LAN and not directly through a modem. Each building in the complex has a T1 connection, and each port is advertised to receive 1.5 mbps. This has been confirmed by multiple speed tests I have done, at www.speakeasy.net and as well at www.dslreports.com. I have my utorrent client set for this connection type so I don't see how it could be trying to download twice as fast as possible.

Seeing as I mentioned before that I sustained over 150 kbps on a torrent at http://bittorrent.ccc.de:2342/ I'm assuming that the slow speeds are due to slow seeds. However, this still doesn't explain the 'wavey' dl speeds I'm getting, nor why the speeds miracously peak over 100 kbps after a restart.

A T-1 line is only 1.5mbps by itself. Splitting it to an apartment complex cannot give everyone in it 1.5mbps -- each connection to it can only get a fraction of that amount...though one might hog 90+% of it, leaving almost nothing for anyone else.

I said upload, NOT download. Max Upload speeds for a connection are almost never symmetric with max download speeds for a connection. Even when they are, you'd still have to set upload as less than download in µTorrent were you seeking to max them out.

Let's assume you really have 1.5 megabits/sec down and up. That's probably about 150 KB/sec useable up and/or down. But if you put 150 KB/sec as the max upload speed in µTorrent, there will still be times when µTorrent will try to upload at least a little faster than 150 KB/sec, plus there are the usual TCP/IP overheads, plus there are BitTorrent overheads, plus SYN ACKs from downloading quickly that will exceed your connection's upload limits. So since the connection can't really upload as fast as it's being pushed, something gets lost.

When the thing that gets lost is SYN ACKs from downloading quickly, the uploaders throttle their speed to you until they get SYN ACKs back from you in a timely manner. If you stay very overloaded on the upload side, it's possible for your download speeds to drop almost to nothing on a PERFECTLY good broadband internet connection.

I'm not sure why the emphasis on upload speeds all of a sudden unless I mistakingly said upload instead of download. I have my upload speeds to max out at 70 kbps, due to speed tests saying I usually get around 80 kbps.

I assure you my connection speed is advertised at 1.5 mbps, and I usually get around 1.2 mbps. Perhaps I am wrong about the T1 connection per building, but I'm 100% positive of my download speeds. I have around a 1300 kbps download and a 80 kbps upload. I have all this set as my maximums and the utorrent speed guide has been configured to this. I assure you that all my configurations are correct when referring to upload/download speeds. So I'm still at a loss as to why the downloads are 'wavey' when they are downloading (currently right now I'm averaging .5 - 1 kbps), or why restarting my utorrent client a few times has resulted in speeds I should be getting.

My speed test results are:

Download: 1381 kbps (172.6 KBps)

Upload: 664 kbps (83 KBps)

This is exactly what I have entered into utorrent speedguide. Also, this entire time that I've been experiencing the slow/wavey downloads, I've only been uploading at about 15 kB/s.

If you're not uploading at your max upload speed as set in µTorrent, something's probably wrong with your connection. The fact the problem seems to go away at least briefly if you reboot seems to suggest something seriously wrong on your computer.

I'd think virus, trojan, spyware, or adware.

The 20 kB/s upload is on a torrent I just seeded and is a CD of a trombone player, so I assume that not many people will be downloading it. Also, I'm no longer getting the peaks in speed after I reboot my comp. or restart utorrent. I have done spyware checks with Ad-aware and Spybot, anti-virus scan with Bit Defender, and have run Registry Mechanic.

I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong if anything is. Just last week I downloaded over 5 gigs at consistent speeds and uploaded over 8 gigs. Maybe I'm just connected to bad seeders, the torrent I'm downloading only has one seeder, and 6 peers (only connected to 1). The availability is 1.187

Archived