Highly Variable D/L speeds

justatemp

I have seen several questions posted on this with no valid answers so trying again with a picture this time. The depicted sinusoid extends indefinitely in both directions.

Why does this happen? Note, I can read and follow instructions as scattered about the forums. And, I did run the setup utility which is awesome but apparently not awesome enough.

post-375455-0-25888900-1407517569_thumb.

Could be any from a bunch of reasons.

Actually, some more detailed info would be nice to narrow it down: client version; router or direct connection; does it happen all the time or periodically, with all torrents or randomly; how many active seeds/leeches.
When you take a speed test, is it downloading/uploading smoothly or fluctuating?

I'm having the same problem: http://puu.sh/aUO9n/ab8eaa297a.png

The DVD installer editions of linux distros like slackware (from http://www.slackware.com/getslack/torrents.php ) end up being better speed testers because of their larger size.

The jaggedness of your speed indicates you're close to your line's download limit.

My connection is a 50mb/s. The download speed stays around 3.0mB/s. The upload speed stays around 200kB/s.

Just now my download speed jumped up to 6mB/s (then plumetted again to 1mB/s). Which is the expected speed. The utorrent setup guide detected my upload speed at 760kB/s.

3mbyte/sec down, 1mbyte/sec up is what that is capable of.

Detecting your recommended upload speed of 760kbyte/sec is about right.

Yep. I agree. I'd be happy if the 760kB/s was what I was getting in utorrent. But I'm only getting around 200 and it's extremely unstable.

Like it'll jump up to 300kB/s, then a second later drops immediately down to 17kB/s.

Upload speeds on already highly seeded torrents will be unstable. I don't actually have good torrents for testing upload speed with.

Additionally, internet providers are more likely to interfere on the upload speed side of things.

But it's both the download and upload which are unstable. They're also both unstable at the same points.

I was just going to take another screenshot showing that both upload and download dip at the same time but my download speed shot up to 9.6MB/s for a second and destroyed the graph visibility.

EDIT: I just downloaded and installed another bittorrent client to test with and it did the same thing with the slackware torrent. So I'll contact my ISP.

Thank you for your quick help Dread!

9487.png

Warning: You connection shows signs of ISP upload compression.

Archived