Constant Crashes - how can I pin down torrent

Carnacki

A little background, been using an older version 3.3.1 for quite awhile with no problems. A few weeks ago my HDD started failing (ridiculous amount of SMART errors) so I replaced the disc with a new one and moved everything to it. I thought all the files were fine, but possibly some were damaged as a result of the HDD failure because I started getting regular crashes of uTorrent. I tried upgrading to the latest version 3.42 (32239) but the crashes persist. As an example I had probably 6 crashes in 3 hours the first day I fired it back up. Today it's crashed about 10 times in 15 minutes. Each time it creates a crash dump file and asks if I want to relaunch. It's basically crashing within a few seconds of starting now.

I'm convinced it's hitting a corrupt file and that's what's breaking it. So I'm trying to pin down exactly which torrent (or torrents) are causing the problem. I use a folder "Working" for storing the torrent & files while it's working and a folder called "Completed" to store the completed ones. There are several hundred torrents and probably a few thousand files split between the two folders at any time. I've been trying a process of elimination to see if there is a particular torrent that is corrupt.

1. I renamed the completed folder and created a new folder that was empty. Still got crashes.

2. I renamed the working folder and created a new folder then added about a dozen files to it. Plan was to rotate through a dozen or so torrents at a time until I figured out the culprit.

After doing step 2 I found uTorrent still lists all the torrents that were in my old working folder, just with a note about the files not existing. It also listed every one that I hadn't actually started downloading not just the dozen I'd moved into the folder. After some of the dozen torrents I'd put in "working" started finishing it automatically began downloading the other ones.

This worked fine for about a week. But the crashes started again a day or so ago and are particularly bad today. I literally can't fire uTorrent up long enough to have it finish checking the torrents in it's list.

So... how can I "clear" but preserve my list of torrents? I want to remove all the queued (never downloaded) torrents so I can go back to my plan of testing with a dozen torrents at a time. Then I can get to a point where I have a single torrent in my Working folder and I know it's the cause of the crashes. Obviously I don't want to just completely wipe everything because there are several hundred torrents that are complete (and were seeding), plus maybe a hundred that were active and partially downloaded, plus several hundred more that were queued and hadn't started to download.

Better yet, is there any tool that can scan torrents (and files) to tell me whether it's valid?

Of course, all that assumes it's a torrent that's the root cause. Is there anything else that's likely to cause crashes so frequently? Especially when it was previously quite stable? The PC is stable and has been running just fine since I built it six months or so ago. I've stress tested CPU, memory and video card, it's not overclocked and installed apps are kept to a minimum. I use Avast for AV (but not firewall) and have been the whole time. I can't think of anything that's been updated around the time of the crashes other than the HDD.

Side note: Why the heck is uTorrent.exe installed in C:\Users\Carnacki\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent and not program files? I'm sure when I installed originally it was in D:\apps\uTorrent but somewhere along the way it changed locations.

edit: I assume I have a bunch of queued torrents even after I moved the working folder is that I clicked a magnet link when adding them. I guess uTorrent doesn't actually create a .torrent file in the working folder for something added via magnet link until it actually starts downloading.

unfortunately i cant fix your problem as i have the same one but i can tell you it has nothing to do with your torrents mine will crash with a clean slate sometimes it takes 10 or 15 minuets sometimes it is instant. I have been trying to figure this out as well i posted a few days back with lots of views but not a single answer. I have never had this issue in the years i have used utorrent. Im assuming you dont lose your torrents when it crashes, mine all disappear which can be frustrating when getting something big and half way it crashes goes unresponsive and loses all progress. 

I don't believe I've lost any torrents, although I'm not 100% sure. I suppose it's possible that one or two may have been lost but I don't think so.

At this point it's been running overnight and 100% stable. Completed a few torrents, got a dozen listed (all partially complete but only seeding because they are either incomplete or rare). Just added another big partially complete torrent and it's sitting on about 2mbit download at the moment and stable.

One thing I noticed when moving torrents between "working-old" and "working" is that some of the ones that were in working had completed. So I'm wondering whether the crash is actually a problem when trying to move certain torrents from working to completed. Next thing on my list to try.

Hi, just written here on a different post. I too am experiencing random crashes with my Mac and uTorrent - no problems ever since I installed a while ago. Now the program freezes and Force quit crashes too if you try using it, closely followed by whatever other applications that are running!! The only way out for me is to force a complete shutdown and start again.

I thought initially it was a conflict since updating Firefox but alas it still happens with nothing else running. Program may do one download or it may run 20 seconds - no pattern whatsoever?

I'm still working through testing, several hundred torrents takes a long time to test when I'm trying to do batches of 20 and give them a day to make sure its stable >_<

So far though, no crashes. Running on PC not Mac. And my crashes would only ever take down uTorrent, nothing else was affected.

Archived