Is it worth a VPN?

scar1

No, I use a Proxy server for my needs that stops those priving eyes from looking where they shouldn't be looking. Also is free to use the proxy settings as your uT has that option to use it. And no VPN is overblown waste of money....they can be closed down unlike Proxy that can move.

Free proxys are very unreliable for torrents, I read.  Is that true?

Yes Free Proxys are unreliable even Free VPNs are also if you really want to avoid letters and whatnot from your ISP then must use paid vpn more secure then free.. you can go with PIA some other VPN I would recommend IPVanish, PureVPN, OverPlay check out some valuable information about P2P torrent VPN service provider here http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/best-p2p-torrent-vpn

Free proxys are very unreliable for torrents, I read.  Is that true?

That depends which proxies are you referring to? If it is a US based or US ally DCMA then yes that is a problem as anything going through that proxy they will see. But if it is a proxy outside of the US and DCMA allies then they have no jurisdiction.

Yes Free Proxys are unreliable even Free VPNs are also if you really want to avoid letters and whatnot from your ISP then must use paid vpn more secure then free.. you can go with PIA some other VPN I would recommend IPVanish, PureVPN, OverPlay check out some valuable information about P2P torrent VPN service provider here http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/best-p2p-torrent-vpn

That's also a fallacy in itself VPN can be shutdown but not Proxies they move and change....giving the uT users more freedown. I am guessing you gotten quite a few letters from your ISP for one to make that statement.....

No, I use a Proxy server for my needs that stops those priving eyes from looking where they shouldn't be looking. Also is free to use the proxy settings as your uT has that option to use it. And no VPN is overblown waste of money....they can be closed down unlike Proxy that can move.

Actually, a proxy server doesn't necessarily hide your original IP address.  In fact, if the optional X-FORWARDED-FOR element is included in the HTTPRequest header, it will start by putting your original IP address in a stack and then add each proxy address as it passes through.  The end recipient has a sequential chain of all proxy IPs all the way back to your original external IP address.

If you are using FireFox, install the add-on called X-Forwarded-For Header.  It lets you specify a different IP address to be inserted in place of your own at the bottom of the stack.  Your original IP address still goes up to the first proxy (it is not the one in the stack) so it knows where to return the HTTPResponse, and, while it hides your original IP address from others, it doesn't prevent your first proxy from knowing where to return data.

A popular IP address to substitute is 8.8.8.8, which is Google's primary Domain Name Server.  8.8.4.4 is their secondary DNS.  Or you can be creative and put in the IP address of one of the "Internet Cops" like the RIAA, or your ISP's main portal, or even the IP of somebody you really would like to see get into trouble (a tad too passive-agressive for my taste, but YMMV).

VPNs (safe ones) and 'seedboxes' are good alternatives.  Seedboxes are private high-speed servers that will not only cloak you, but can greatly increase the speed of your uploads and downloads - a serious advantage over proxies and VPNs that slow down transfer speeds.  One problem, though, is that both will involve monthly charges based on the volume you intend to move. 

There are free VPNs out there, but many of them are not totally secure.  I found one very obscure one developed by a doctoral student at an equally obscure university somewhere in the world (and I'm not exposing it, so don't ask).  It not only provides a secure VPN for no charge, but mates with another university project that makes server IP addresses available from all over the world to substitute for your own. 

Just don't make the mistake of bringing up gmail on the browser or a local mail client while you are spoofing an IP address from some distant country.  When gmail tries to login, it sees the alien IP address, rejects the login and informs you of a suspicious attempt to log in from, oh, say, Berlin, Bangkok, Seoul, or the Seychelles.  Then you have to go through a several-step process to let google know it was really you.  My copy of Thunderbird handles 5 gmail accounts (among others), so it's a serious PITA when I get careless [grin].

You can even set this package to keep randomly changing your virtual IP address at set intervals.  This time from Sofia, Bulgaria, next time from Hanoi.  After that, Capetown...

Spend some time searching the deep internet (google can only search the surface 15%) and you may luck into one of these.

Oh, one last option.  There are plenty of open wifi routers out there.  xfinitywifi routers are very common, for example.  Not only are they usually unprotected by password (or at least open to any Comcast client with the right app downloaded), many of them still have the default userID and password for their internal management and configuration suite.  These internal programs have one of several specific IPs, depending on the make of the router.  They usually have addresses like http://192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1 (experiment a bit).  Once into the program, you will need to enter the router's administrator's uid and pwd.  Again, depending on the make, the default uid is either 'admin' or just blank, while the default pwd is usually either 'admin' or 'password.'  So, go wardriving periodically and track down all of the open systems in your neighborhood. You just might come up with a 'beard' for your p2p activities.

Once in, turn off the log so your sojourns won't be recorded.  Then purge the existing log so that your original breach will be deleted as well.  You can, if you want, change the uid or pwd, or change any other parameter you want, but I recommend leaving them as you found them.  If the true owner tries to get into the config program and can't, he is likely to reset the router to factory settings - and this time remember to change the uid and pwd himself and you're out for good.

If you are connected to this wifi router when you do any uploading or downloading you don't want anybody to know about, the trail leads back to the open router, not to anything that identifies you.   I know somebody who lives next door to a Comcast sub-contractor whose' xfinity router is unguarded and he has been using it for years.  If Comcast detects a copyright violation, intentional or unintentional, the trail leads right back to Comcast itself [chortle...]. Let them file charges against themselves. 

Now, he says, if only he could find a way to get them to upgrade from 802.11n to 802.11ae and add 5 GHz support ;)

The best defense against constantly improving technology in this all-encompassing surveillance world is to stay at least even, or, preferably, one step ahead.  Or make friends with a geek-wizard who can help you.

Why would one use the firefox to download torrents your basically asking for it doing that way. And your talk about firefox doesn't even related to ut which is a separate running program. Where your getting or coming from no one will understand as ut and firefox are totally separate program. That is where I am referring to the proxy and how that proxy went to Firefox proxy...that is such a big leap I couldn't think one would even try to make that. And your going so far off base...don't know what your trying to say or do but what you doesn't related to ut itself.

1.Actually, a proxy server doesn't necessarily hide your original IP address.  In fact, if the optional X-FORWARDED-FOR element is included in the HTTPRequest header, it will start by putting your original IP address in a stack and then add each proxy address as it passes through.  The end recipient has a sequential chain of all proxy IPs all the way back to your original external IP address.

2.If you are using FireFox, install the add-on called X-Forwarded-For Header.  It lets you specify a different IP address to be inserted in place of your own at the bottom of the stack.  Your original IP address still goes up to the first proxy (it is not the one in the stack) so it knows where to return the HTTPResponse, and, while it hides your original IP address from others, it doesn't prevent your first proxy from knowing where to return data.

3.A popular IP address to substitute is 8.8.8.8, which is Google's primary Domain Name Server.  8.8.4.4 is their secondary DNS.  Or you can be creative and put in the IP address of one of the "Internet Cops" like the RIAA, or your ISP's main portal, or even the IP of somebody you really would like to see get into trouble (a tad too passive-agressive for my taste, but YMMV).

1. What are your talking about this is about ut nothing related to http browser.....? One doesn't use their browser to download torrent file..and how you could think that where this is about uT is beyond logical reasons.

2. What does Firefox have to do with ut??? nothing....grabbing for straws again? Were talking about proxy in uT nothing about your browser proxy or the likes.

3. What??? how does this related to ut a separate running program...again???

• 6 months later...

Yes sure, using VPN is essential for protecting your computer against hackers and maintaining your internet connection speed. I am using this VPN provider http://www.vpnanswers.com/using-vpn-for-torrenting/ it is reliable and you can get it with reasonable price.

With my Proxy settings my internet speeds aren't diminished or slowed down. And I don't spend any money on VPN to do the very same task only ut has proxy usage and the rest of my computer is fine withou having to use proxies or VPN for my internet. Hackers can hack you if you download their programs and it takes over your system so VPN will not still protect you. And VPN for their disclaimer can still keep a record of your internet usage nothing in there allows you to know what they are logging and keeping track of that you can verify they aren't doing so.

Archived