Shared installation for all users under Win 8.1 - how to?

furrrr

I run windows 8.1. I have two users, one with administrator privileges and one without. Now, when I install utorrent it is installed only for the current user and sharing the content between users is a nightmare (say I want to start downloading a torrent when logged in as one user and then resume it when logged in as the other user, I figured I would just set the same download and .torrent location for the two users and it would run smooth but NOPE that is hell on earth). So what I want to do is a single installation common to both the users which I guess would rid me of all the problems.

I searched the forum and I only found this: http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/83728-how-utorrent-is-common-for-all-users-with-the-content-in-windows-8/

It goes: "natively uTorrent runs in a user context, to make it run for every user you will have to move the installation and settings into a directory you make in "Program Files", set the download and .torrent store directory in a 'public' location, edit the registry to make it start in a machine context and disable UAC completely to allow it to actually start without every user getting a prompt.", with no further specifications.

The part I didn't get is the one where I have to "edit the registry to make it start in a machine context". How do I do that?

No I'm not the only one using the computer (pretty much the whole point in setting up different users), me and the other person using it would like to share the utorrent installation so that when we add torrents in our separate sessions they go to a single utorrent instance so that my stuff can keep downloading when he's logged in and viceversa without the conflicting user privileges screwing everything up.

Then install it for each account when each person log themselves in that would be the way to proceed and if that doesn't work then ut can't do that. I think uT is a single user program it's not like a multiuser program. Are each users admin? If they are then this will present problems each users should be limited and when you install uT for each user it should remain for each user in theory but since uT wasn't AFAIK a mutitask program but one instance of it running only.

Huh, whatever, I solved it. I just kept one of the installations and deleted the other one, set read/write privileges on for both users for the folder utorrent was installed in and for the download and .torrent folder and everything works ok. I didn't have to edit any registry key after all (nor disable UAC). Of course when switching users I have to exit utorrent on the user I'm leaving in background because only one instance is permitted.

Archived