uTorrent Won't Resume Transfers after wake from sleep

enigma9o7

• Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • uTorrent 3.4.2 (build 32239) [32-bit]
  • ISP Sonic.net
  • Windows 8.1 built in firewall/antivirus

If I sleep then wake, transfers don't resume.  This happens 100% of the time.  They just sit at status=downloading but with no download speed and upload speed like 0.2.-0.4 kB/s.  If I exit and restart utorrent, transfers resume normally.

This has been happening quite a while, not just this latest version, as last time I upgraded I hoped it'd be fixed but still happening, so at least one version back too.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate. 

Another symptoms of this problem... new magnet links don't start, they stay stuck at "Downloading Metadata" until I restart utorrent, then they work fine.  (Unless I've already restarted utorrent since waking up, then they work as normal).  I'd assume torrent files behave the same as magnets but don't recall opening one lately.

In my opinion it's related to uTP and how fast it works and also to the hardware and software that the user has. I'd put a short delay in uTorrent's traffic after resuming from sleep or hibernation (in my case) before trying to connect to trackers/DHT/peers in order to let the computer "wake up" completely. My tips start the traffic after the computer "wakes up".

Yep, I was able to reproduce the for seeding torrents, so added as  bug #13 to my list...

You can try to do the following and see if it helps:

in Pref.->bandwidth:

a. Disable "apply rate limit to uTP connections" + apply

b. Try to Enable it again + apply, see if it traffic still work

I tried this now, and yep, transfers resumed.  I'm going to set it back to disabled and leave it that way when I sleep tonite, see what happens when I wake tomorrow...

Thanks Rafi, you're right, of course its running at full speed now (and resumed fine this morning) and I do have a limit set to leave some bandwidth so that my wife can still use her pc/phone.... so am looking forward to an actual fix now that I know it's a bug, not user error/etc.

Is there anything I should do to officially report this as a bug, or am I right to assume you already took care of that?

Well that's disappointing to hear.  I would have thought any bug, especially one that makes the program seem to not work at all, would be high priority.   I guess maybe not many people put their computers to sleep, or somehow this problem doesn't affect everyone, or it seems to me it should be getting more attention. 

I was guessing maybe they had some tracking system or something so that two people didn't report the same issue, with a way thing and they updated status on each one or something, etc, I've seen that kind of thing for other software, but I'll go look for the bug forum.

edit: posted in bug forum http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/93245-transfers-do-not-resume-when-wake-from-sleep-if-rate-limit-is-applied-to-dht-connections/

in Pref.->bandwidth:

a. Disable "apply rate limit to uTP connections" + apply

b. Try to Enable it again + apply, see if it traffic still work

Rafi, how come you arrived to this from a sleep issue? Looks to me that there is no connection between a sleep issue and limiting uTP.

Archived