Confused about DHT

dbunder

In my uTorrent settings, I have DHT set to off by default. If I'm downloading/seeding a torrent I want to use DHT for, I click on properties and the DHT checkbox is greyed out. It doesn't matter if the tracker is private or public.

Do I have to have DHT on in uTorrent settings in order to ungrey that checkbox? And after that, do I need to enable DHT per torrent, or will every torrent be using DHT when DHT is turned on in options? I've tried looking for an answer here but couldn't find much.

Thanks for any help.

DHT itself is a separate network, which is always on and active regardless of if your torrents are using it. If you turn it off globally in Torrents, then no torrent can use it, and it will not be active. Think of it like eMule's Kad.

If you turn it on, then all torrents which are not private, or do not have it turned off on a per-torrent basis will use it.

When I turn DHT on in the settings, on any torrent I right click->Properties on, it has the DHT checkbox ungreyed, but also unchecked. Does this mean that the tracker has banned DHT and uTorrent has turned off DHT for that particular torrent? I get the same behaviour on non-private torrents I get from public trackers - ungreyed and unchecked checkbox. That's why I asked if I have to turn on DHT on a per-torrent basis.

Thanks much Firon... just trying to clear up a few things. :)

Thanks. But still a bit confused. If I turn on DHT in the middle of a session, do I have to stop/restart the torrents in order for them to use DHT? Cause all of mine are ungreyed and unchecked when I turn DHT on.

I guess my question is will the checkbox be ungreyed and checked when DHT is in use, even if I didn't explicitly go to that torrent's properties and check the box?

Thanks again. :)

Archived