Slow seeding problem

krazy

I'm an initial seeder for a file on a private tracker, and I've run into a problem with the latest beta (462).

The file was upping fine at about 20kB/s until most leechers reached about 94%. Now it has slowed right down to ~1kB/s. WTF?

All my ports are forwarded etc. I successfully upped a smaller file to the same tracker with no problems.

Any suggestions?

(Note: All this is just a GUESS!)

Many of the peers may have your ip banned for giving them a bad chunk. (failed hash)

This may even be true if everything your connection sent out was perfect.

...and this is because they just happened to be downloading the 'bad' chunk from you and the REAL corrupted peer at the same time.

Surely this would have an astronomically small chance of happening for all 14 peers currently connected. And if my IP was banned, wouldn't I not be able to upload at all, rather than just really slowly? :/

Were you uploading to BitComet or Azureus v2.4.0.0?

There's a buggy Azureus version that corrupts encrypted transfers, but I think it only applies to when IT is uploading.

I'm thinking it might be a client to client incompatibility, what kind I haven't a clue beyond that.

I think I may have narrowed down the problem. It has to do with utorrent falsely setting the seeding goal upload limit.

To see this, enable the seeding goal upload limit, and set the 'Seed while' ratio to something below whatever you have seeded.

utorrent will limit the speed of the seed and continue to limit it even when setting the ratio back to 150%.

Archived