Improve "run this program when download finishes" feature

alextorex

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This feature has been requested multiple times for YEARS now.

At least develop a simple implementation of it, such as, when torrent status = 'Finished' then run xxx. Set it in the preferences section under General or Directories. Let it pass on a couple variables, as I mentioned in my first post of this thread.

This is simple stuff, even simpler since it's already built into the program, but not currently set as a global option.

I was asking for this one years ago too... Is there still hope for us ? ... ;)

And while we are at it - can I ask for another trigger for an external executed program: when an RSS favorite (show) is being detected on any of the feeds and start downloading ? Parameter to this one would be all the related info retrieved from the feed. It will be very useful to be made aware of such event , and so on.

Thanks

At this time I think we are better off hoping for a version number to expect the feature in than expanding the request.. It has been in the feature request list for a very long time apparently and sort of confirmed, maybe sometime in the future, yet nothing in the 2.0 or 2.1 release notes yet so who knows when.

The thing I'm wondering about is that when I, or other people bring up this topic, it is usually COMPLETELY ignored by the developers. Even when it's injected into an active topic that the developers are currently responding to.

What is so wrong with having this functionality? Are you so afraid it's going to take away control from your 'precious' program?

At this point, I'm so frustrated, I'm thinking about looking for alternatives to uTorrent. This request is YEARS old now. Something more than a one word reply from the devs would be an amazing thing right about now. I know I'm not the only person waiting for this functionality with bated breath.

-T

Trystrian brought the funny. Don't worry, the more angry and obnoxious you are the more likely the developers are to do something for you. True story.

Ultima already told you the answer. They are not "actively refusing" it there are just higher priorities.

I agree - yes it would be useful, but it's ceartainly not something I yearn for.

There's a lot of "this would be nice" features that people ask for, but the problem is there's only so much development time to go around. So not a lot of time gets dedicated to these "this would be nice" features, since there's things deemed to have higher priority.

I fully understand the development cycle of software, I've been a developer for over 20 years. I apologize for coming across as obnoxious, as Agouti so kindly pointed out. :P

The reason I'm irked over this topic is that it's been 'in the queue' for years, and keeps getting pushed down the priority list while other new functionality is being thought up and developed. The functionality is already in the software, all you need to do is make it available globally, for all torrents.

It doesn't help that you're developing/testing multiple branches at the same time. That, in my humble opinion, makes no sense whatsoever, especially with your limited development resources (time,people). I'm sure you have your reasons.

Firon, Ultima, thank for taking the time to respond.

Please consider bumping up the priority of this functionality request. ;)

-Trystian

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say that I also want to be able to run a program when a rss torrent is finished.

You see, I use an unpacker that automatically unpacks to a specific folder, and to be able to run it automatically when my automatically downloaded files finishes would be awesome.

After reading this thread i understand that the developers do not prioritize this request, therefore I just want you guys to know that I also want this. Pretty please with sugar ontop :)

to be honest, I guess the reason for NOT implementing this could be - that people will post-process all downloads and then delete the originals. This way all seeding might stop, since uT cannot be aware of what was done and where the result file was moved to (if at all).

rafi with that kind of thinking you would also have to take away the ability of users to stop seeding after x %, or the shut down after downloading feature, or many other features that cut off sharing.... Not everyone is going to do post processing and moving. I for one primary want to run a command line notification to an external program so I know the torrent is done

Don't misunderstand me, I like to have this feature too! But, bad habits - like short time seeding, or shutdown after download - do not compromise the torrent task, and you can (potentially) resume seeding at any time. The seed-file is there. Whereas if you are erasing/moving etc - uT torrent-task is broken. Nothing it can to do resume.

But... I vote for it :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Still no sign of this feature in the latest Utorrent which is quite sad to see since it was requested over 4 years ago.

Although a dirty way to do it is make a program to check for folders-that-are-not-completed is by see if they contains any .!ut-files every now and then.

But this function would really make life easier for people, instead we have to spend hours for a dirty workaround...

Hello. I have created a script which runs Avast virus scan when a new file is detected in a specified directory. (Windows specific)

You can find it here. Folder Monitor for Avast Free

Using the similar way, I may be able to create a script which launches the predefined shortcut (.lnk) files when new files are detected in a certain directory, only if there are needs for it.

Archived