Improve "run this program when download finishes" feature

alextorex

>We're really planning

4 years is really a long time for planning... :P You probably understand that it makes people think your priorities suck, and you really don't give a damn about what all/most of them like to have.

I suggest that you also leave the local one as it is, and just add below it a checkbox to run if in addition of the global one, or instead of it.

That should not take more than 4 more years, so see you in 2014... :P

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Hey, features get forgotten

I can kid and say - hey, what are you here for... :P (j/k...)

I think we both know what I meant. And it's When "forgetting" becomes chronic - it means it's a desease... (Alzheimer ?...) :P Both forums and the so called 'idea banks' cannot not replace the use of properly prioritized planned features-list that people can have a look at.

The facts (as I see them) are that your (BTs') focus was on other things (like 3-4 releases-with Apps/Streaming/uTP/mac , embedded solutions, free uTP lib-code, etc). This left no time for you to deal with almost every other feature request. I appreciate the importance/need to make money somehow. But to almost totally ignore anything that the users see as helpful to *them* (not BT...) for years ? That's just sad, and also makes users migrate to other clients.

I can think of one more example (out of many) - the RSS improvements' list that I've prepared at the time, and (that even Simon promised to deal with it in 2.1) - completely left out/forgotten (even I did... ).

Well, I suppose that is taking if off my chest... ;)

And have a nice day :)

We're really planning on implementing a global run after feature in 2.2. :P We'll just take the existing one, make it global, add some more variables for better automation, and maybe make it multi-line.

Awesome!

Currently running the beta(2.2(build 21290), but I can't seem to find it? Maybe it's not implemented yet?

Well, the thing is, if you talk about it more it might have a better chance to become a wish that fulfills itself.. :P And it's encouraging to hear that it is your wish too... ;) Try not to forget it this time, after 4 years... :)

• 3 weeks later...

and where did they explain the possible values for the parameters ? for %S ? for %T ? for %M ?

Plus is "wild cards" possible in any of them ? like in %M ?

Example/help with the exact required format would have make this newly released feature look more professional...

But, I guess there is a limit to what you can expect, after ~3 years of waiting... ;) Better have users ask about all of those one at a time in the forums :P

And you need to start expecting minimal operational details to be give (maybe even as simple text with the changelog) IF any dev is expecting beta users/tester to test his new features.

It is only reasonable/logical to do expect that . But I guess that me and you night have different "standards" for what is to be expected for testing betas... ;)

All in a friendly spirit of cause...

PS/edit: and me emailing the devs asking for more details is really not the proper way to get that info that belongs in the public/beta domain...

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't take anything for granted if you're beta testing a software. Problems and unclarity come with the territory if you choose to beta test.

Would it be nice if docs were released? Sure, but it's not like the whole feature is instantly hobbled by this. A simple batch script that accepts and dumps the received parameters should be enough to tell anyone who really cared about the feature how it should be used.

Edit: That said, I'll toy with it when I get time. My first guess is that %S doesn't behave any differently than WebUI torrent statuses. And the others are all straightforward.

...A simple batch script ...be enough to tell anyone ...

Edit: That said, I'll toy with it when I get time.

Right, and where is that sample script ?... :P I can see that your view is not so different than mine. I was wishing for a few more words explaining the syntax/format, and you for a sample script...

I appreciate the time you spend "playing" and reverse-engineering the spec... I don't have it right now ... ;

It's a power user function. Go figure it out. Don't expect everything to be handed to you on a platter.

Not everything, I don't. You do that, thank you. And if you are wise/kind enough to tell us, peasants, your findings (like write it in your changelog ?) - great :P

If you actually use this feature, you should know full well how to pass parameters to external applications. Seriously, just stop with the "I want to be spoonfed this" attitude. You can ask for it -- that's fine -- and if someone else does step in with the information, great. But you keep writing as if we owe it to you, which we surely don't -- not when it's simple enough to figure out the majority on your own. For the bits that you can't figure out on your own... well, then I guess it just won't get tested until the proper documentation is released. Not a big deal.

And no, I wasn't asking for a batch script. I was saying that anyone could write a batch script to check.

... as if we owe it to you....

No, Ultima, you owe it to yourself (and I don't mean you, personally, but BT people). I know how to pass parameters. Just not sure about what a few of them should be ( like "state/%S" ). Do you know ?

Many people (including you, myself, and others) spent time testing. Some of those do expect minimum "assistance" from the devs, and what I suggested - is that minimum.

And we wrote here much more than those 5 text lines Firon or his fellow-devs should HAVE written. Yes, should have. I know they seldom do, and you, unfortunately got used to it. I didn't. I guess I am hopelessly optimistic... :P

My 2 cents... :)

It's not that I'm used to a lack of something -- it's that I don't expect that something in the first place.

Yeah, combined, we probably have written more here than would have been needed to describe the functionality. I'd have tested and written/posted the information myself already, but my excuse is that I'm not currently situated such that I'll be able to test this correctly.

Anyway... off I go to deal with Real Life™ for the time being.

%T = announce url

%S = integer value of status

%M = description of %S status

example:

%T = http://mytracker.com/announce

%S = 12

%M = Queued

%S = %M

1 = Error: <error message>

2 = Checked <xx>%

3 = Paused

4 = Initial-Seeding

5 = Seeding

6 = Downloading

7 = ?

8 = [F] Seeding

9 = [F] Downloading

10 = Queued Seed

11 = Finished

12 = Queued

13 = Stopped

remember to wrap %D %N and %M with quotes

> thanks. where is this info from?

I'd guess it came from the Common Sense bucket.

I can't believe folks are complaining about how they've delivered it after all this time. I've been wanting this feature forever, and I'd check in once or twice a year and still see no hope. Today I about went batty changing each individual torrent to run a program when done and decided to check the forum to see if there were any updates. As I went through the thread, I had no hope... then BAM! A message announcing it's there (in a beta release).

Everything on that initial page outlining the options made sense to me right away, and the things I didn't know could be determined by quick testing. Just execute a batch file passing all the parms, then use ECHO to see what the values are. Simple.

Anyway, this is the ONLY feature I've wanted from uTorrent, and the only feature that caused me to even look at other clients. I've finally registered on the forum after all this time just to say thanks to all involved, and to call for a bit of reason and appreciation from my fellow users. I suppose there will always be those who feel it is their purpose in life to keep others "in line", but can we at least have a few days or weeks to enjoy this before you start crapping all over the uT folks about what they didn't do perfectly according to you? Some of us (yes, me) greatly appreciate what was done.

Someone mentioned before earlier in the thread that it should be customizable by RSS feed, and I'd like that as well, but this global setting is at least 90% of the way there. We can make it do different things for different RSS feeds by having the RSS feeds set labels, then having a batch file take different actions based on the labels. The bottom line is that whether it's difficult or not, almost every scenario I can envision where we needed this functionality can now be done. Before, it simply couldn't. In my book, that's a pretty solid win.

yeah, we all have to say 'thanks very much' to arvid for that! It's much appreciated.

I suggest to also make the "run this program" (per torrent) - use the same format. Plus - make it possible to set it to run with, w/o, before or after the global function to avoid conflicts.

and @automaton: if you've tested it and do have more 'reversed engineered' info - don't hesitate to post ... :)

like an answer to this question - "will this global function be triggered multiple times, when a torrent is, for example, downloading->seeding->stops" ?

Archived