Question about utorrent via TunnelBear

JackD123

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm here mainly to ask this question. As you might know, Tunnelbear is one of the VPN services that says they block torrent ports. However, the other day I was connected to their Netherlands server and I could download a file using utorrent (not the newest version). My question is, considering that I did not change any settings in the application, is it possible that the traffic has bypassed the VPN? Tunnelbear says that they tunnel ALL traffic and they block traffic if disconnected. It also showed reduced quota after the download and the download speed was less than my normal speed. All the signs show that it has went through the tunnel, but why do they say they block torrents? And when I retried with the newest version of utorrent, I could not download with any speed higher than 1 or 2kb/sec?

Thank you and sorry for the long question!  :)

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I'm here mainly to ask this question. As you might know, Tunnelbear is one of the VPN services that says they block torrent ports. However, the other day I was connected to their Netherlands server and I could download a file using utorrent (not the newest version). My question is, considering that I did not change any settings in the application, is it possible that the traffic has bypassed the VPN? Tunnelbear says that they tunnel ALL traffic and they block traffic if disconnected. It also showed reduced quota after the download and the download speed was less than my normal speed. All the signs show that it has went through the tunnel, but why do they say they block torrents? And when I retried with the newest version of utorrent, I could not download with any speed higher than 1 or 2kb/sec?

Thank you and sorry for the long question!  :)

They might have been talking about bandwidth access not about blocking torrent. There are legit torrents that are downloaded as well like Open Office it is either a download or torrent download. So if you have more question aout Tunnelbear that is best directed to their webmaster not at utorrent.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm asking this here because I thought maybe utorrent has some special feature that enables it to bypass VPN. As for Tunnelbear, they are clear on their no torrent policy. It is specifically mentioned in their website that torrent downloading is not allowed. They have also mentioned that they tunnel all traffic. Now when I try utorrent with tunnelbear again, it does connect and start downloading, but with very low speeds (~0.1 kb/s). The file that I could download (the one I a talked about in original post) was downloaded at much higher speed (around the same as normal VPN download speed). So the question is, is it possible that utorrent just found a way around the tunnel? Or was it just a glitch of the tunnelbear allowing the torrent traffic?

Archived