Question about DHCP Leases and Utorrent

eight00mixer

I have a Motorola SBG900 combo modem/router and two computers with wireless cards.

I was having a hell of a time getting decent download speeds with any torrent client. I tried port forwarding, the Speed Guide built into uTorrent, disabling DHCP on the modem/router, setting a static IP address, turning off UPnP and DHT, shutting down my firewall, and what would ultimately happen is my internet connection wouldnt work at all, or it would repeatedly cut off after running Utorrent for a minute or so, and I had to keep repairing it.

For the hell of it, in the control panel for my modem/router, I noticed a section called DHCP leases, and added both of my computer to this. I had to enter in their mac address, and I checked off the option to bypass the firewall (I don't have it enabled on the router anyhow, but checked it anyway). Normally when I went to this aread of the admin panel, it would show both computers listed, but it said they had a Dynamic connection, when I removed them and re-added them, it now has them listed as "Static" under the DHCP Lease section.

Long story short, ever since I did this, I stopped getting those dropped connections when running Utorrent. I left it running all night last night, and it didnt drop once. My download speeds seem pretty good depending on the torrent - one album I was downloading today had a speed of 175 kbs. Whats confusing me now, is the light at the bottom stays Red.

My current configuration...

Utorrent is set to the Speed Guide settings for 1mb

Max Half Open is set to 50

I ran the lvlord patch and set it to 1000

UPnP is enabled

DHT is enabled

I removed the option to choose a random port everytime utorrent is started

Port forwarding is not set up (every time I configure this my connection drops repeatedly when running utorrent, even when I disable UPnP)

I did not set up a static IP address under the TCP/IP settings for my internet connection (when I do this based on the portforwarding guide, I loose my internet connection alltogether)

Could anyone elaborate on what's going on with these DHCP Leases? And why I'm getting the red light? Or have any other recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DHCP Lease is basically the amount of time your computer/router will have a certain IP address set aside for it when the IP address is not being used.

Example: Your router gets an IP address from your ISP. Everything is all good and happy. Then you go off for vacation for 4 days. During these 4 days, no one is home and using the network connection, so when you have a power outage, and the router shuts down, no one turns it back on.

So, the IP address that was leased to your router, is not being used at all. The router is off. So after the DHCP Lease Time expires, the IP address is added back into a pool of IP addresses for other people to request.

So basically a DHCP Lease is a way of saying: If this IP address isn't used for the specified amount of time, then release it back into the pool of IP addresses so other people can use it. The reason something like this is done is so there won't have to be a whole 1:1 ratio of IP addresses to subscribers, among other things.

Now, if you're getting the red light, you have a firewall issue. Did you disable the DHCP Server on the router? Or did you disable DHCP configuration OF the router for your ISP.

My setup is henceforth:

My router is setup to grab an IP address from my ISP via DHCP.

I have the 2 computers (one wired one wireless) set with a STATIC IP address so I can port forward necessary ports without issues.

I have the DHCP Server on my router turned OFF.

"Utorrent is set to the Speed Guide settings for 1mb"

Are you sure you have 1 megabit/sec of UPLOAD bandwidth?

If not, all kinds of slowdowns and network crashes are possible.

"Max Half Open is set to 50

I ran the lvlord patch and set it to 1000"

The 50 value may be hard on your router.

The 1000 value is simply excessive. Viruses will have fun with that.

Which leads me to my next question -- is it remotely possible that viruses/worms/trojans/spyware are on your computer and causing at least some of your problems?

You should NOT be disabling the DHCP Client on your router's WAN tab. This is why you're losing internet connectivity. When you setup a computer with a static IP address, you don't necessarily have to disable the DHCP Server, but you might want to.

If you're using Wireless Security, you will need to make sure that you have your Pre-Shared Key set up properly on your client. And also the SSID for your router properly setup as well.

Also, on your WAN tab, you should not have a statically assigned IP address. That should be assigned by DHCP.

Thank you for your help with all this, it's really starting to clear things up for me. Where would I find the "DHCP Server"? I looked around at all the pages in my SBG900 Modem/Router control panel and don't see any mention of a DHCP server. Or is the DHCP server on my computer?

Thank you for your help with all this, it's really starting to clear things up for me. Where would I find the "DHCP Server"? I looked around at all the pages in my SBG900 Modem/Router control panel and don't see any mention of a DHCP server. Or is the DHCP server on my computer?

The router acts as a DHCP Server, and it is on the LAN side of your network. WAN is the external (Wide Area Network) LAN is the internal (Local Area Network).

DHCP Server will generally be under the Setup tab or under a LAN tab.

Look for the following: DHCP Server, Starting IP Address, Maximum Number of DHCP Users.

Those will be the general settings for the DHCP Server run on the router. To be honest, I wouldn't really worry about disabling the DHCP Server. Just set your computers up statically, and the enable port forwarding. And you should be good to go.

If you can't disable DHCP server, restrict it to a 'range' of only 1 ip that it can map computers to.

That way if 1 computer is set up to "automatically assign an ip", it will ALWAYS get that 1 ip.

...and that ip will not interfere with other computers with fixed ips.

Archived