"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."

eight00mixer

When I look at the logs on my router, I see these two things repeatedly, and they seem to coincide with my connection constantly dropping...

"DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response."

"Operating in Gateway mode"

Anyone know what this is a sign of?

Ignore that. That DHCP WARNING message is normal and is from the cable modem. I get it all the time as well. It's really something that cable modem technicians use. You really shouldn't be concerned with anything in the Cable modem logs.

On a side note. Give me the signal levels of your cable modem. You can find them from the same page you were in most likely.

Your downstream power level should be between -15 and +15 dBmV.

Your upstream should be between 32 - 58 dBmV.

If your signal levels are close to the borderlines here, that would explain why your connection keeps dropping. A lot of things can cause issues with your signals fluctuating, but the most likely cause is faulty splitters, leakage on the coax, and heat.

downstream: -1.4 dBmV

upstream: 33.0 dBmV

I called my cable company, Roadrunner, and their level 3 technichian said they detected a 20% packet loss, so they are sending someone out.

Initially I tried all the speed recommendations earlier on my computer at work, so I figured when I got home, they would work here as well. Utorrent on my computer at work is now flying super fast :-) :-) :-), but at home here I'm still getting connection drops, so it might be something wrong with the cable.

The thing that confused me, is uTorrent is the only thing that triggers these drops. Otherwise, surfing the web, downloading all kinds of stuff with Flashget, running bearshare, chat rooms, etc, all seem to work fine.

Good, get the packet loss checked out. It could be a faulty splitter, or maybe just line leakage.

What kind of router do you have? I haven't had any issues with my router: Linksys WRT54G Version 4, but because UTorrent opens up a lot of connections, it overloads the router. Check the FAQ for information on it: http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_do_I_change_the_number_of_connections_.C2.B5Torrent_uses.3F

Also, what kind of cable modem? Motorola Surfboard? When you lose internet connection, what happens to the lights on the cable modem?

Here's something to check. When you lose your connection when you use UTorrent, check the first 4 green lights on your cable modem. All 4 should still be on. If those 4 green lights go off and start flashing at all, then it's a signal issue with the cable modem.

If your connection drops and those 4 green lights are on still, then it's the router that is dropping your connection.

It kinda sucks because the router is built into the modem, but at least then you'll know where to start. If it's the router, limiting the number of simultaneous connections would be the best thing to try.

Yeah, then your cable modem is actually losing synch with the cable network. Which is odd because your signals are fine. I don't have much experience with your specific modem, but it's possible that when the router gets overloaded, it crashes the entire modem? :\

• 2 weeks later...

I've been going back and forth with RoadRunner for a couple weeks now, they keep sending tech people out who say my connection is fine, throw a new splitter on, then leave. Someone's coming again tommorrow to take a look at it again.

I got on the phone with Motorola and they had me check my signals. The lady told me my Upstream Power Level should be between 30-55, it is now at 29, which is what I am going to have RoadRunner check for me tommorrow.

The only way I have been able to get uTorrent to work reasonably for now, is to turn on UPnP, don't do any of the port forwarding or setting a static IP address in the TCP/IP settings. Also, I am using McAfee firewall. Previously I had the one port uTorrent was using, condigured in the firewall. Instead, I changed my firewall settings to open up ports 1024-65535 to uTorrent. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I have had much less connection dropping issues.

The little light at the bottom of Utorrent, is sometimes consistently green and other times it's consistently red, not sure why. My download speeds are sometimes as high as like 200kb/s and sometimes they won't budge over 25kb/s or so.

I have a feeling part of the problem is that I am in an apartment complex, and the wiring to my place seems a bit bad since my signal levels are borderline. My workplace, which is like 5 min down the road from me, uses RoadRunner Business Class, and I was able to do the whole speed tutorial fine on the work computer, port forwarding and everything. It works like a charm, I get great download speeds and no connection drops. So I have to wonder if they are placing some limitations on their residential customers connections.

I asked them flat out on the phone several times and they inisist they do not do any sort of traffic shaping or anything like that. And when I explain to the tech people that these issues are happening anytime I use a torrent client, they pretend like they have no idea what torrents are.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Well,

I have a SBG900 Motorola SurfBoard Router/Modem. Girlfriend and Daughters complained that P2P had stopped working when I brought another router to be used as a Bridge for XBOX connection. Bridge was using DD-WRT and joined the Motorola Network. XBOX worked fine. Bridge had default setting with Firewall turned off. I shut off the bridge to see if P2P would work but I still could not get a connection. I then shut off the SBG900 Firewall and suddenly P2P connection was made. The weird part is all other settings (Low, Medium, High, Custom) blocked P2P. I went into custom settings and added the ports and could not get P2P to work. I believe that Cable Providers have access to settings that subscribers don't and limit access. My recommendation is shut off the Surfboard Firewall and THEN use your Windows Firewall (get a free firewall), use a good antispyware program (Windows Defender is a good one), a good free Antivirus program (Avast.com) OR get your own Router to replace the Cable Companies crap BUT then they will reset your connection and you'll have to reboot your router now and then. Look up Net Neutrality.

SIN

Archived