VPNs *ONLY* for uTorrent?

Cephus

I'm wondering if such a thing exists.  I'm currently running a proxy and it works great for uTorrent but it is absolutely killing my speed and access for web browsing and other things.  I can't log on to my bank because it thinks I'm from Upper Whateveristan.  Google thinks I'm a bot and it keeps trying to have me use Google Netherlands.  My very fast connection is crawling.  I get that speed will take a hit in uTorrent but I don't want it to be affected in the 99% of things I do where I don't need to be anonymous.

Is there a VPN out there that only works for torrenting and doesn't try to anonymize every single thing on an Internet connection?  Enquiring minds would love to know.

This is what happens when you file-share bandwidth gets used. You want more bandwidth then you pay your ISP to get higher bandwidth. You can't increase bandwidth when you have no more bandwidth to use. Stop using ut and you bandwidth will clean up and your browser will be light night and day. Simple math...use more bandwidth or a program hogs bandwidth and all other internet traffic suffers it's very simple. You either ut or no ut to use internet this is one place you don't get to have your cake and eat it.

Well thanks for not even reading what was asked.  It isn't bandwidth that's the problem, it's that going through a proxy, by it's very nature, slows everything down.  I want a proxy program that ONLY works with UT and does not force all of my Internet traffic through the proxy.  I don't want web browsing, IRC, Skype and all other things affected, only UT.

But thanks for your low reading comprehension skills anyhow.

Just make Ut use the proxy itself I never said that your other internet must use it. You didn't read carefully what I said file-sharing aka torrent will eat up your bandwidth the more bandwidth the more it will take up unless you use your router to QSVP. Want to not use up so much you need to use your router and use it to limit how much each program especially ut uses in bandwidth that way your other programs don't get pushed out of the way. That's how you do it otherwise you need to do some homework about proxy and program pirority usage.

But that's not the problem.  I've got a fat pipe, but even when BT isn't running at all, my web applications are still affected, my bank still thinks I'm in another country, Google still thinks I'm a bot, all of these are functions of the proxy server  Things time out.  This isn't necessarily about speed, this is about connectivity.  All I want to do is be anonymous in my BT usage and be unaffected otherwise.  Most proxy services will only anonymize your entire connection, everything going out is run through the proxy server.  I don't want that.  I want more control.  I didn't think it was that hard a thing but maybe it is.

But that's not the problem.  I've got a fat pipe, but even when BT isn't running at all, my web applications are still affected, my bank still thinks I'm in another country, Google still thinks I'm a bot, all of these are functions of the proxy server  Things time out.  This isn't necessarily about speed, this is about connectivity.  All I want to do is be anonymous in my BT usage and be unaffected otherwise.  Most proxy services will only anonymize your entire connection, everything going out is run through the proxy server.  I don't want that.  I want more control.  I didn't think it was that hard a thing but maybe it is.

Well for start this site is for ut problem and since your problem seems to be with your broswer that is beyond this forum.

You are having more problems then what we can help with here you got VPN problems and broswer problem with your proxy and if you can't resolve that on your own since that goes beyond the scope of UT then not much can be done here. I have my clues what is going on here but then again those problems are not UT problems those are something you created and unless you remove those that will be your own situation to deal with.

I can't get you all the way there, but maybe I can give you a few clues to get you started, or get someone more familiar than I am with the types of VPN tunnels to chime in. In the Windows/General forum topic "Is Pxoxy a fake?" for example, DreadWingKnight, who should know of what he speaks, said, "HTTP proxies don't support UDP packets. Your settings are causing your issue." I don't understand that, because HTTP is one of the VPN options in UT. So the following may or may not be on target. :-(

My VPN allows me to set the type of tunnel I want...OpenSSH, PPTP, OpenVPN, and others. If I chose OpenSSH, I have to use a freeware program called PuTTY as an interface and either set up the tunnel in that program or use a freeware .bat file from the tunnel provider to set up PuTTY automatically. When I use that technique, I then have to tell Firefox to use a proxy via SOCKS Host in the Options/Advanced/Network/Settings menu. Once that's done, only Firefox goes through the tunnel. Everything else on my computer goes through my straight-through Internet pipe.

PPTP or some other types of tunneling work at the OS level, and everything coming and going to my computer goes through the tunnel. I can't help you more than that, but if your VPN offers the OpenSSH option, you might try setting up that kind of tunnel and then telling UT (and no other Web-connected program) to use it via SOCKS4 or SOCKS5..

Dunno if that will work; I haven't tried it on UT, but it might be worth a shot. Maybe someone else here is using that method and can give you more details.

And I agree with you completely. Using a tunnel halfway around the world knocks my speed down to 10-20% of normal and there are the problems with banks and Google and "suspicious log-in attempts" on my email accounts.

Archived