switching computers and can't find torrent files there is not enough space

magicka3000

I have to say after going at this for over 4 years now, I still am pretty much newbie.  I don't understand a lot of it at all.  I have all of my files on an external hard drive which I was using with a different computer.  It was working fine there.  I have now connected to a different computer which I noticed assigned a new drive letter to the drive.  Instead of trying to change the letter of the drive, I went into utorrent preferences and changed the directories so that it would find these files.  I am out of space on this drive, but you should need any more space should you?  It did load all of the torrents into utorrent, but it said there is not enough space available.  

So I tried having them saved to the C drive instead.  The new computer assigned drive letter F to the external hard drive.  Now they are in there, but it wants to redownload them all over again.  I remember reading somewhere that you have to set the download location for each one.  This doesn't mean each individual song does it if it is music albums?  I went to set download location for a few of them, found where they were on the external drive, went to update tracker and then force re-check, but I get there is not enough space on the disk.  I'll probably reply to your reply.  I don't get this at all.  I don't understand why it is so hard to change computers.  I would hate to see what the process is for moving everything to a completely different hard drive.  Please ask me questions if I am not clear on something.  

Thank you for your help.  

On preferences I have 

put new downloads in C:/my documents/utorrent - C is the computers internal hard drive

move completed downloads to C:/my documents/utorrent

Store .torrents in C:/my documents/.torrent files

Move .torrents for finished jobs to C:/my documents/.torrent files

Automatically load .torrent files from F:/my documents/utorrent 

F is the drive letter of the external hard drive.  If I change all of these to the F drive, then I get the message there is not enough space on the disk because it is indeed full.  

Just had to delete all of the .torrents because that is the only way from stopping utorrent from creating them all over again and hogging up space on my C:, which of course will affect my ability to seed, but I can't get it to recognize my files anyway.  This is why people don't seed.  This program is just too hard.  It should be made for everyday people to use.  You shouldn't have to be a full blown programmer engineer to seed.  I think utorrent sucks.  I've been screwing around and trying to understand the inner workings of it for 4 years now.  I would actually pay someone and fly out at my expense to have an individual one on one session on how to use this thing, but I know that won't happen.  

Archived