Problem with your FAQ

Industry

I have been getting process access errors recently and ventured into the FAQ for an answer.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#I_get_Error_Access_Denied_and_.C2.B5Torrent_halts_the_torrent :

Is what uTorrent provides as a solution to my problem. Basically, you're telling me to uninstall my google desktop in order to use uTorrent. I don't think that is an appropriate solution because i DO want to use google desktop, and the problem should be solved within uTorrent, not on the client side by uninstalling other programs.

It's like saying 'Uninstall Microsoft Office Word to use iTunes because we (Apple) don't like Microsoft.'

Why don't you go tell Google Desktop to fix itself then. I don't use it, but from reading the FAQ, the problem seems to be Google Desktop claiming it is using files it really shouldn't be using (your precious torrents), so Windows (understandably) protects the file so it doesn't become corrupted from two guys writing to it at once. The responsibility is clearly Google Desktop's. The only thing uTorrent can possibly do is become Unlocker (search Google) and force the handle to close. IIRC, Unlocker is as big as all of uTorrent, and you might cause Google Desktop to squawk as you close the handle.

As far as uTorrent is concerned, your request is like telling uTorrent to write to a file even if you yourself are accessing it.

Why don't you go tell Google Desktop to fix itself then. I don't use it, but from reading the FAQ, the problem seems to be Google Desktop claiming it is using files it really shouldn't be using (your precious torrents), so Windows (understandably) protects the file so it doesn't become corrupted from two guys writing to it at once. The responsibility is clearly Google Desktop's. The only thing uTorrent can possibly do is become Unlocker (search Google) and force the handle to close. IIRC, Unlocker is as big as all of uTorrent, and you might cause Google Desktop to squawk as you close the handle.

As far as uTorrent is concerned, your request is like telling uTorrent to write to a file even if you yourself are accessing it.

Well Azureus gets by with no problems. So does BitComet. I haven't tried others. Its a sore fight and not one to be faught here. The point is that something should change, so the question can be removed from the FAQ, because the problem can be fixed rather than avoided.

Lastly, the FAQ mentions that MSN Desktop causes the issue also. So is it really Google Desktop's fault, or uTorrents...?

(It's a rhetorical Q: please don't answer it).

Google and MSN Desktop are the ones at fault, they open all files with exclusive access. Azureus and BitComet lock the files exclusively (and it can still error if they try to lock a file that's already in use by Google/MSN Desktop). µTorrent doesn't so you can still use files while seeding, and it closes the handles every minute to avoid "memory leaks" with the windows System Cache.

Archived