What changed?! HELP!

nlcoffma

I have used utorrent for a long time and last night I went online to mess with it a bit and I can't download anything. I open VERY HEALTHY torrents with thousands of seeders and they sit for a minute, say all trackers 'Error Timed Out' and then a little red arrow appears next to the title. Can anyone help me? I haven't found a single solution online in the hundreds of forum posts. I have tried downloading multiple torrent clients, deleting clients and restarting, deleting all firewall and virus software and reinstalling, basically everything. I cannot figure it out at all! Thanks! I have included screenshots of the torrent I am trying and the problem with utorrent. 

post-379060-0-22781300-1417974583_thumb.

post-379060-0-87292500-1417974583_thumb.

post-379060-0-27764700-1417974584_thumb.

post-379060-0-26966300-1417974631_thumb.

post-379060-0-24685500-1417979873_thumb.

peerblock started adding bittorrent IP ranges to the autoblock list. If you're using peerblock, you have to manually add the Ips to permanently allowed list. 

I had the same problem until I did that. Now DHT connects as does publicbt.com.  Other trackers still don't connect. They'll probably have to be allowed manually, I'm guessing. 

Could you please explain what that means? I am pretty savvy but I don't know what that means. Did you look at the screenshots I sent? I am using a MacBook Pro with Mavericks, I have Comcast Ethernet, and I am using the most up to date version of everything from Google Chrome to uTorrent. Thanks this is driving me crazy!

peerblock started adding bittorrent IP ranges to the autoblock list. If you're using peerblock, you have to manually add the Ips to permanently allowed list. 

I had the same problem until I did that. Now DHT connects as does publicbt.com.  Other trackers still don't connect. They'll probably have to be allowed manually, I'm guessing. 

Thanks also for commenting! Again, I am very new at this as far as the technical jargon, if you could walk me through fixing this problem that would be so appreciated! THank You!

Thanks also for commenting! Again, I am very new at this as far as the technical jargon, if you could walk me through fixing this problem that would be so appreciated! THank You!

I've noted you;'re runnign a mac. I don't know how mac works in this. Are you running any software that blocks other computers from connecting to your computer? Firewalls, or peerblock software? 

I run peerblock which is a software that does exactly that. It blocks connections from computers with IP addresses that are known to be hostile to peer-peer sharing. 

And recently peerblock added the IP address of bittorrent to autoblock list, which means my computer automatically denies any connection to and from that Ip address range. 

That's what cause the DHT to hang on waiting to announce... And other trackers from failing to connect and just time out. 

My guess is your running some mac version of similar software. 

On peerblock. click on list manager, click on view default p2p list button and it bring up a message box with a long list of block IP addresses. 

This thread is the one that gives you the IP range to unblock

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/93898-constant-connecting-to-peers-and-red-availibility/

For me the Ip range was bit different,

http://imgur.com/0PhcycB

Right click on the bittotrrent ip address on that list and add to permanently allowed list. 

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88745-dht-waiting-to-log-in/

this thread has more info others are having similar problems as well. They're suggesting it might be another security software issue as well.  

I've noted you;'re runnign a mac. I don't know how mac works in this. Are you running any software that blocks other computers from connecting to your computer? Firewalls, or peerblock software? 

I run peerblock which is a software that does exactly that. It blocks connections from computers with IP addresses that are known to be hostile to peer-peer sharing. 

And recently peerblock added the IP address of bittorrent to autoblock list, which means my computer automatically denies any connection to and from that Ip address range. 

That's what cause the DHT to hang on waiting to announce... And other trackers from failing to connect and just time out. 

My guess is your running some mac version of similar software. 

On peerblock. click on list manager, click on view default p2p list button and it bring up a message box with a long list of block IP addresses. 

This thread is the one that gives you the IP range to unblock

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/93898-constant-connecting-to-peers-and-red-availibility/

For me the Ip range was bit different,

http://imgur.com/0PhcycB

Right click on the bittotrrent ip address on that list and add to permanently allowed list. 

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88745-dht-waiting-to-log-in/

this thread has more info others are having similar problems as well. They're suggesting it might be another security software issue as well.  

Thank you so much for this information. I had to go to work but now I am home and can tinker with it a bit. I tried searching for a Peerblock application on my macbook but I couldn't find anything. I surely haven't downloaded anything and the only software I use came with my Comcast internet service, the Symantec Norton Suite I downloaded for free when I got hooked up. I don't know if there are other methods to check what might be causing the problem. I am pretty sure only a few weeks ago I got a few items on bittorrent and it worked fine. Let me know if I can provide some more details about my set-up or whatnot so that you can help me. Thanks again I really appreciate it. Cheers.

Thank you so much for this information. I had to go to work but now I am home and can tinker with it a bit. I tried searching for a Peerblock application on my macbook but I couldn't find anything. I surely haven't downloaded anything and the only software I use came with my Comcast internet service, the Symantec Norton Suite I downloaded for free when I got hooked up. I don't know if there are other methods to check what might be causing the problem. I am pretty sure only a few weeks ago I got a few items on bittorrent and it worked fine. Let me know if I can provide some more details about my set-up or whatnot so that you can help me. Thanks again I really appreciate it. Cheers.

Check this out 

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88745-dht-waiting-to-log-in/#entry498192

he talks about norton security which you have. 

Seanincali, 

I have a few updates for you with screenshots. So last night I disabled some thing on Norton and I am not sure if that made the difference or it was just the torrent I was trying to use. So check out the screenshot I have included in this post and you will notice most of the files are with the red arrow, no tracker, etc (these are healthy torrents btw) and you will also notice some ACTUALLY DOWNLOADED! So we are on the right track. Now, could it be that the climate of all of these torrents are just bad, like bad trackers or something that is why they aren't downloading. Throughout the years I have had no trouble with uTorrent and any torrents healthy or not and now maybe the community is just overloaded? Any advice would be great. At least I know it's not my internet connection!

post-379060-0-09516200-1418054048_thumb.

Check this out 

http://forum.utorrent.com/topic/88745-dht-waiting-to-log-in/#entry498192

he talks about norton security which you have. 

Okay, another random update. I took a screenshot which I will include in this post. I just tried starting a few other torrents from KAT and half started and half went to the dreaded RED ARROW. I have no idea what is or isn't causing these interruptions, they seem to work randomly!? Again, any further advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, also this time they started WHILE my Norton Suite is in FULL effect... CRAZY. #clueless

Okay well its not letting me attach the screenshot because it is "too big" all of a sudden. Anyway, it looks a lot like the ones in my last post, half are downloading like crazy and the other half are stuck on the RED ARROW>

Okay, another random update. I took a screenshot which I will include in this post. I just tried starting a few other torrents from KAT and half started and half went to the dreaded RED ARROW. I have no idea what is or isn't causing these interruptions, they seem to work randomly!? Again, any further advice would be appreciated. Oh yeah, also this time they started WHILE my Norton Suite is in FULL effect... CRAZY. #clueless

Okay well its not letting me attach the screenshot because it is "too big" all of a sudden. Anyway, it looks a lot like the ones in my last post, half are downloading like crazy and the other half are stuck on the RED ARROW>

That's weird. First I thought it's the 0 seeder issue. You can't download the file if there are no one seeding the file, but the very first file shows blue and there are no seeds either. 

Archived