Seeding vs organizing files

SxN

Hi All,

I am enjoying, like so many others, the bit torrent protocol, to download files of interest for me. As it is to be expected, if I download, I also leave the files available for upload, seeding for other users.

There are two problems here:

1. My hard disk is getting full. Can I move the files to an external drive, and make them available form there?

2. It is getting kind of hard to find things. Can I move them in folders with names that make sense for me, maybe even rename the files, while keeping their content untouched, and while still seeding?

Thanks for your advice,

SxN

Hi All,

I am enjoying, like so many others, the bit torrent protocol, to download files of interest for me. As it is to be expected, if I download, I also leave the files available for upload, seeding for other users.

There are two problems here:

1. My hard disk is getting full. Can I move the files to an external drive, and make them available form there?

2. It is getting kind of hard to find things. Can I move them in folders with names that make sense for me, maybe even rename the files, while keeping their content untouched, and while still seeding?

Thanks for your advice,

SxN

1. You can do that but then you will have to make a new torrent of the files to torrent them again.

2. Moving will stop them from seeding. What do you mean getting hard to find things?

With a handful of files, everything is manageable. But when it is about scrolling (so many files ahve super-long names, with the author of the torrent, and some more extra notes), my eyes get tricked and cannot spot the file(s) anymore. Moreover, some downloads are one file, some are a folder with many files, that's another reason to go up and down.

So, anyway, thanks for the answer. Looks like I have to create torrents. Can you point me to a quick tutorial for creating torrents?

Say I downloaded the file thisAndThat[demonoid_such_and_such].extension, and I want to rename it as This and That.extension and move it in the folder New Destination. Also, I'm creating the new torrent. A user downloading the original thisAndThat[demonoid_such_and_such].extension will also get pieces from my New Destination/This and That.extension? Will I be part of the swarm?

Thanks,

SxN

Thanks for raising this. I have exactly the same dilemma and the same issue. A simple search for "create subfolder" on the forum search box doesn't yield any results :huh: .

Like you, I hate having very long subfolder names for single files and need to neatly organize them in folderst that make sense to me.

1) For torrents that downloaded automatically to a folder that I wish to keep -> right click, Advanced.. Set Download Location. The app moves the file.

2) For torrents that downloaded automatically to a folder that I DO NOT wish to keep -> This normally means that I could not disable the "Create Subfolder" checkbox because for some torrents it is DIMMED, while for some others it is VISIBLE, I don't know the reason. Any help would be really useful.

In these cases, moving the file out of the subfolder to the upper level folder, deleting the unwanted folder and then using the said Set Download Location option to keep the torrent seeded does not work.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

you can remove your current seeds in utorrent. organize your files on your drives( if you rename any of these folders this adds an extra step)(you cannot rename individual files, the .torrent won't recognize it). reopen that same .torrent file and in the window use the Set Download location option (mine says "Save In") and point it to the folder your files are now in on the external harddrive(extra step: if you renamed the folder you must rename it in the utorrent window as well). utorrent will force recheck the files once before starting and your torrents stats will be new(your ratio will be zero at first).

Archived