Downloadspeed instantly drops when I close the lid of my notebook

biertje

Hi,

I've got this problem as said in the subject, I don't know if anyone has had the same problem, if so please refer me to the post/solution, thanks.
I've checked this problem on a couple of downloads and on multiple days and it's always the same. I wait for the torrent to have reached a stable download speed, but as soon as I close the lid of my notebook, the download speed instantly drops to near-zero. When I open the lid again the download speed quickly rises up to it's former stable speed again. I have turned off sleeping and hibernate and everything, so nothing happens when I close the lid. Power saving options in 'Power Plan' as well as in 'Adapter Settings' are configured correctly so this can't be the problem either. Does anyone else have this problem? I now just set the auto-dim setting to 1 minute but there has to be a better way to prevent this problem.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

One idea could be that you run on Wifi and the antenna is integrated in the lid.

So perhaps because of closing the lid you loose your Wifi connection.

You could test this idea lying on the floor and have the laptop lid horizontally as it is when the lid is closed.

As I said, just an idea.

Helpfull would be which type of laptop you use.

One idea could be that you run on Wifi and the antenna is integrated in the lid.

So perhaps because of closing the lid you loose your Wifi connection.

You could test this idea lying on the floor and have the laptop lid horizontally as it is when the lid is closed.

As I said, just an idea.

Helpfull would be which type of laptop you use.

I'm using an HP Pavilion 17 e072-nr, running Win8.1.

It sounds ridiculous but I really thought of that idea too. My wifi antenna indeed is integrated in the screen but the the problem only occurs when I 'fold' my notebook, not when I hold it at a certain angle. Even more ridiculous is; the further I close the lid, the further the downloadspeed drops. I can litterally adjust my max. downloadspeed quite precisely by folding the lid. It could be that something interferes with the antenna but I found someone with the same problem here: http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/pcs-accessories/why-are-my-torrent-speeds-slowing-to-a-halt-when-i-close-laptop/td-p/231873

And he says it didn't happen in older releases of utorrent.(bittorent actually but it's quite the same) So that would suggests the problem is caused by some kind of bug.

I read the post of that guy - he posted that in July 2011 already.

This was when 2.2.1 and also the 3.0 have been in beta state.

For me is clear that this phenomen can just be hardware related.

In my opinion that can't be anything related to utorrent.

Try running a version prior the 2.2.1 (make a backup of your settings!!!) to see if you're or I'm right.

PS: in my company we stopped using HP notebooks for a reason.

I read the post of that guy - he posted that in July 2011 already.

This was when 2.2.1 and also the 3.0 have been in beta state.

For me is clear that this phenomen can just be hardware related.

In my opinion that can't be anything related to utorrent.

Try running a version prior the 2.2.1 (make a backup of your settings!!!) to see if you're or I'm right.

PS: in my company we stopped using HP notebooks for a reason.

Yeah wise decision, i'll stop buying HP when I get to buy a new PC too. Too bad I don't have the money yet.

If it's hardware related I suppose there won't be a solution for it..

Thanks anyway for your time.

Archived