How about a new "seeding priority" option?

sh00z

Kind of a noob here, so I'm not having a problem with keeping my ratios good, and I had a completely different idea. Would it be possible to create an option on seeding to "Continue seeding until availability exceeds X"? I'm tracking this manually now, and I try to make sure that I don't quit a seed until availability goes over 2.5 or so, because I wouldn't want to quit and leave it below 1. It would be great if the program could do that for me.

Preferences > Seeding Priority...?

Edit: Oh, you're asking about availability... You shouldn't rely on that as a parameter to determine how long you should seed, as when you become a seed, you get disconnected from other seeds, and the collection of peers normally don't have have availabilities greater than 1.0 (though it happens). Availabilities are high generally because of seeds, not peers. Since that's the case, you might seed for days and it still might not reach the priority you set.

When you're seeding, you're not connected to other seeders, so the availability means that 0.8 is what the leechers have collectively. It's ok to quit as long as there are other seeders available (and you have seeded to at least 1.0 ratio).

When you're seeding, you're not connected to other seeders, so the availability means that 0.8 is what the leechers have collectively. It's ok to quit as long as there are other seeders available (and you have seeded to at least 1.0 ratio).

Cool. Thanks. That part of the FAQ must have rushed over my head, amongst all of the other information.

Actually, it's quite common on torrents with lots of peers to have higher availability than 1 even when connected to no seeds. If you're connected to 20+ peers and every one of them has over 70% of the file...then they quite likely don't have the SAME 70+%, so between them all there's probably many copies of any piece of the torrent.

In short, availability way over 1.

If anything, if there's a lot of peers over 50% and you don't see an availability over 1 ...something's WRONG!

That wrongness could be the only seeder hasn't gotten out more than 60% of the file yet, or it could be a fake torrent that will never complete, or no super-seeds running to get rare pieces out quickly...etc.

• 3 months later...
I would like to see a seeding priority system somewhat similar to what azureus has. I have some torrents that I would like to keep in my seeding queue for a long time, and have them become active when neccessary, such as the tracker reporting there are no seeds but there are downloaders.

I've been thinking in these lines my self.

It would be nice to be able to seed a torrent until there are X seeders. Then the torrent pauses and resumes if there are no seeders.

Archived