why doesnt utorrent drop connections?

nalle

been running a under 300 peer torrent for about 12hrs. my firewall report 3900 (there about) open connections from utorrent. i close the firewall down and restart it .. i still have around 2k connections open.. if i would close the torrent down, the connections would still be there. only solution is to close utorrent down itself for them to disapear. so... is there some options i havent done right or what? this is annoying as hell :)

edit: i have the 460 build

edit2: and global max conns is 1000 (not that it helps much) ;)

thats why i said i closed the firewall (outpost) and restarted it. and still had like 2k conns. and after like 10-15 minutes its back up to around 3k conns from utorrent. this hasnt been an issue all the time. been starting lately. and i know others have the same "problem". 3k conns in ur firewall = laggy puter :)

and all the connections from utorrent is TCP. utorrent just wont drop connections.

i can in outpost too... trouble is.. they are back within seconds :)

seems very odd to me how i can have like 3700 connections from utorrent. when ive set the global to max 1000.......

i have one torrent running (and had all along). there hasnt been over 300 peers in the 18hours ive been on it. so how can utorrent have ~3700 connections?

and i dont have DHT or peer exchange on either.

thats why i said i closed the firewall (outpost) and restarted it.

Other peers will keep trying your IP for DHT regardless of whether you restart your firewall or not :). This could even be days after you last closed your client.

If you are behind a router, you could possibly block UDP packets on your previously-forwarded port you used in µTorrent. DHT is the only thing that uses UDP packets, so if is disabled you don't need UDP forwarded.

If µTorrent isn't dropping TCP connections properly when they cannot be made, that's often the results of a flakey firewall or spyware or poorly written networking program on the computer.

What else besides OutPost firewall might be using the internet on your computer?

(Run HijackThis app to find out what might be the problem.)

thanks for the replies. hard to ignore 3700 connections in the firewall (laggy, hehe). they are all listed as tcp and it hasnt been like this all the time (when ive runned utorrent before). oh well, i guess i have to try another client out.

and i stated i dont have DHT on, nor peer exchange :) i dont need a router i have 5 unique ip's if i need it, so i have a switch.

outpost lists what programs use what port. and utorrent uses like 3700 on a under 300 peer torrent. its not flakey.. whats flakey is utorrent... as i stated.. i close the torrent down (leaving utorrent running). still 3700 connections. i close utorrent down.. and the connections goes away. its not like outpost makes up that this or that port is taken by utorrent... this started after a "emergency" update from m$.oh well.. there are other clients :) again thanks for u replies guys.

edit: should of tried this before.... but stable 1.5 doesnt do this.. might be something for the bug thread maybe.

Outpost -is- a better firewall... well at least the paid version is. The free one is probably not so great though. I personally don't have this issue with outpost and utorrent myself so I'm relatively unsure what to say about the problem. I'm using utorrent 1.5.462 and outpost 3.51 (462) under WinXP nearly fully patched - it's without that new legit windows checker thing that runs on your taskbar. Kinda sucks that they stuck that as an emergency update.

Archived