Bittorrent, µTorrent and onion routing?

otakuj462

Hi I have a few questions.

First, does µTorrent support sending tracking data through a proxy? So will it work natively with <a href="http://tor.eff.org">Tor</a>?

My next question is more general, and is about anonymizing bittorrent traffic using onion routing.

I know that there are essentially two types of communications that bittorrent uses: tracking and peer. I've also heard that sending my tracking communications through Tor will allow me a degree of anonymity. By anonymity, I mean that my true IP address will be obfuscated from my peers. However, I'm having trouble understanding how sending my tracking data through Tor will allow me to achieve this. When I send a request to the tracker through Tor, is my true IP registered with the tracking server, or is my torified IP registered? If my torified IP is registered, how can my peers upload data from me? If my true IP is registered, then, as my true IP will be visible to all my peers, how does that anonmize my activities at all?

It seems to me that in order to achieve anonymity with Bittorrent using Tor, you need to send your peer data through the Tor network.

If I'm incorrect about this, I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would let me know, and tell me where my reasoning has failed.

Thanks!

-Jake

Your true IP will not be obfuscated by using Tor for tracker communications. You'll simply become the equivalent of unconnectable, and all of your outgoing connections will still use your real IP.

Tor should never be used for peer communication, since the network cannot handle such load.

• 8 months later...

I'm very interested in this topic, since I am using uTorrent via Tor and the original question was one I wanted to ask.

DreadWingKnight's comment re: performance hit isn't as important to me as remaining anonymous.

I don't really understand Firon's answer. Surely by going through the Tor proxy, anyone connecting to me will 'see' the Tor'ed IP address and send their packets accordingly - these will then be passed to my true IP via Tor. And the same on the upload side??

I would love a more detailed explanation of why / why not Tor won't work??

Also, is it possible to 'see' your own IP within a swarm? I have been looking but cannot see or identify my own IP. This would be very useful as it would confirm that you were connected anonymously (or not) as the case may be.

Any other suggestions as to how to remain anonymous if Tor cannot be used??

Thanks,

bikerboy

By using tor, your peer entry will be PERMANENTLY set in a firewalled state.

Each connection keeps a persistent stream open, and cannot currently be dynamically changed within the tor network. This allows an attacker to trace the data back to you.

Additionally, you will be (and currently are) interfering with other tor users by running a p2p application over tor.

Each byte you measure as transferred in tor is translated out to four bytes actually transmitted.

This is before you take the encryption used into consideration.

It is not always possible to see your own IP (or what your own IP would be) in a swarm. Not all trackers provide web-viewable peerlists.

You don't need anonymity if you have the copyright holder's permission to download.

By using tor, your peer entry will be PERMANENTLY set in a firewalled state.

> Not sure I understand this. Surely anyone monitoring the swarm IPs would only see the last IP emerging from the Tor network??

Each connection keeps a persistent stream open, and cannot currently be dynamically changed within the tor network. This allows an attacker to trace the data back to you.

> How could they track back? I appriciate that you are saying that the fact there is a persistent stream open prevents Tor from dynamically switching routes, but wouldn't an attacker still only see the last IP in the Tor chain rather than my IP?

Additionally, you will be (and currently are) interfering with other tor users by running a p2p application over tor.

Each byte you measure as transferred in tor is translated out to four bytes actually transmitted.

This is before you take the encryption used into consideration.

> I do understand this. I am unaware of the capacity of the Tor network but it is not my intention to damage it / slow it down? Can I take it this is a capacity issue?

It is not always possible to see your own IP (or what your own IP would be) in a swarm. Not all trackers provide web-viewable peerlists.

> But I take it those who want to monitor IPs in a swarm can simply copy all the IPs in the swarm.

You don't need anonymity if you have the copyright holder's permission to download.

> There are many reasons to want to remain anonymous on the internet generally and using Bit Torrent in particular. However, since the vast majority of trackers seem geared toward copyright material, thank god we happen to be in the minority. :)

• 5 months later...

Try it and see if it works.

TOR no longer specifically prohibits or discourages P2P traffic, as they did a couple of years ago. Instead what they did was design their software so that the owner of an exit point can allow or disallow certain classes of traffic.

I haven't used it, but I read that on their website the last time I visited there.

• 3 years later...

TOR no longer specifically prohibits BUT it DOES discourages P2P traffic and THIS is ISSUE is very sensitive to some! That's why some of the responses here, play with semantics, and let some to conclude that one can be tracked by using a bit-torrent client with Onion routing. Which is false, if one knows how properly configure ones system. The truth is that one can use a bit-torrent client with Onion Skin Router and remain anonymous. However , one has to make sure that the bit-torrent client is equipped with a proper plug-in which suppresses a query ISP response and install Proxy Chains and Privoxy. But it is much easier, and less inconsiderate, if you use something other than TOR to use a bit-torrent client anonymously, such as i2p.:)

Archived