The registry tweak to reduce utorrent memory & I/O priority

boomman

This registry tweak has been serving me for years to prevent utorrent from filling windows memory cache with file mappings of files I'm seeding while leaving nothing to other programs.

The full description is here along with the tests, I'm sorry, but it's in Russian, you could probably autotranslate to make some sense of it.

Description goes like this:

If you're seeding a lot of files, they will need to be read by utorrent at some point to actually seed them.
The Windows doesn't know anything about utorrent.exe, so it assumes the program is as equally important as all the other programs running on you PC with regards to caching.

When programs requests more memory and there's no more free memory, Windows attempts to determine what it can drop from memory cache in order to satisfy program request. WIth default behavior it assumes that files read by utorrent are equally important as your other programs' files. With current default configuration, the files still kept in memory cache by recent dota2.exe launch are equally important as those files from two months ago that you still seeding in utorrent. So it can drop the dota2.exe files from memory cache, resulting in the need to read it from the disk again when you start it again, you don't want that.

The Windows has inbuilt feature to deal with this, called memory priority, available from Vista and higher.

The registry tweak below tells the system that utorrent.exe is a background application and shouldn't be considered equal to all other programs, meaning system would correctly think that all files read by utorrent aren't really that important and can be dropped from cache, plus the I/O priority doesn't let utorrent hog entire disk/network bandwidth when other programs need them too.

I'd want some response from devs on this.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\utorrent.exe][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\utorrent.exe\PerfOptions]"IoPriority"=dword:00000000"PagePriority"=dword:00000001

Archived