I don't want Pro

Tomwa

I'm not sure what's going on in the heads of the uTorrent developers. When you read what uTorrent is all about:

"Light. Limitless. Elegant, efficient torrent downloading. "

Question: How does that lead you to believe people want to pay for something that has damn near nothing to do with that?

Let's go feature by feature:

1. Stream Instantly (beta)

First and foremost isn't this entirely against the way torrent/swarm mechanics are supposed to work? The swarm should focus on increasing availability and maximizing speed not completing a torrent sequentially. Additionally, I don't even download streamable media and if I did I wouldn't stream it on the system running the torrent client I'd stream it from the media center for the house.

So a feature I don't need that seems to make no sense. Good we're off to a great start!

2.Convert, download and play in many formats

Other than the fact that the person who wrote this description doesn't understand english (See image) there is the fact that I do not download streamable media why should I pay for a feature I won't use? A feature that bloats my client and makes it larger than it has to be? What happened to light and efficient? Why the hell does a torrent client even NEED a video player/converter? I can almost guarantee that every system has a media player because people watch things that they didn't torrent. So now my system will have two media players.

Another feature I need that makes no sense. We're really rolling now!

3. Premium New Features

I consider this adding insult to injury. Not only are you making me pay for things I don't want, you're going to add more things I don't want. Fan-****-ing-tasting.

4. Anti-Virus Protection

Great! Because only computers with torrent clients need antivirus! That means that all those pesky people utilizing anti-virus for web browsing and security don't need it right? I already have an AV client that scans everything in memory and on disk, why the hell would I want yours?

5.Early Access

Great! More things I don't want sooner.

6. No ads!

FINALLY, something I want. Not worth paying $20 for but hey at least it made the list.

Why don't you just provide us a cheap pay option to get the client without ads/bloat? That's all we want. No plugins, bundles, toolbars or sponspored offers.

There's absolutely no reason why they'd put in ads in the first place. None.

Hell most of their "upgrades" are absolutely useless anyways since the newer versions are blacklisted on a ton of torrent sites.

They are really screwing themselves over. Tons of people refuse to update their clients, and it's only a matter of time before some other torrent client comes out that actually delivers what made utorrent famous.

You can disable adds by setting the following options under Advanced Preferences

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled = false

offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled = false

gui.show_plus_upsell = false

and all the btapps.* set to false

I also blocked the urls at my router, but not everyone is going to be able to do that...

Archived