Excessive Upload

Carnacki

I've noticed in the last few days that I'm getting really high uploads on uTorrent, to the point they're affecting other things - like logging into online games.

I have a 100/40mbit connection that gets real performance of about 88/36mbit or thereabouts. If I'm running uTorrent with uploads capped at 160kB (so I can game) I'm seeing 1.2mbit in task manager for uploads (Send). I realise there should be overhead but this seems really very high and seems to be strangling my connection. Although, I'm wondering why since even 1.2mbit is a fraction of the maximum potential upload. At the same time I'm seeing 32kB for downloads in task manager (Receive).

During these problems I have very little uTorrent download happening,  probably 10kB on average from one or two torrents. There are between 50-60 torrents and as mentioned the upload is capped at 160kB. Global connections is 200 and max connections is 50. In the past (as little as two weeks ago) I have had no problems gaming at the same time as uTorrent was running with these settings. Even when it was downloading at several mbit per second as well as uploading it was fine. But in the last 4-7 days it's basically choking my connection somehow. Happens with 3.4.2 build 38656 and whatever version I was using before (I updated today to see if it'd fix it - it didn't).

The problem is definitely uTorrent related. I can watch task manager and shut uTorrent and the upload drops to nothing. I'm not sure whether it's overhead, one of the in-app ads misbehaving or what. The simple fix at the moment is to turn it off when I want to game, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having fibre.

Any suggestions, thoughts as to why it's suddenly doing this now, what I can do to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

*shrugs* Doesn't really matter I have a connection with a 40 mbit upload which in real testing gives me about 36mbit. Which is far, far more than 1.2mbit that's its set to. Yet it's still managing to choke my connection to the point I cannot login to online games let alone play them.

As mentioned this is only recent, I haven't changed my uTorrent settings, or game settings or internet settings to explain why this could suddenly be happening.

Also, as mentioned the instant I turn off uTorrent I can login successfully to my games.

So, I ask again, any suggestions as to why my *40mbit* upload is being crippled by uTorrent when it's maxed at 1.2mbit?

Maybe it's something to do with max connections rather than raw upload but I don't know why.

Pref.adv->gui.overhead_in_statusbar=true + Screenshot?

Also, make sure pre->bandwidth->limit utp is enabled. If it is, you can enabled "limit overhead", but then, you have to increase your upload limit, to at least 1000K

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, I did try what you suggested a few weeks ago. No screenie but it averages between 8-12k overhead. I'm curious whether overhead measures ads? Because I found that was the cause of the problem. After trawling the net for a few days I found a suggestion to disable the ads and tried that. Worked like a charm, no more DCs or failed logins when gaming. Even when both download and upload was being hammered I could still successfully connect to games. I'm assuming there was an ad misbehaving. *shrugs*

Archived