Warning: EpicScale "riskware" installed with latest uTorrent

Groundrunner

Are you crazy? Just boycott this nonsense. Don't put up with this garbage behaviour from them and continue allowing them to throw ads and other nonsense into your face whilst you just want to torrent...

Move to a different client already! How lazy are you people! Install some program that tries to prevent you from getting hit by their tactics, or JUST MOVE TO DIFFERENT SOFTWARE!

Already done.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are pricks seriously. You employ some of the sneakiest tactics ever to get people to install the crap bundled with your software by changing buttons and employing a different 'accept' or 'decline' method for every piece of junk you try to bundle with uTorrent, and you have drowned the client itself in advertising. You are the absolute lowest of the low. The whole "We need money to pay for this app" is absolute horses***. The original uTorrent before you Malware asshats bought it was free to use and had no problems with funding. After you bought it from them all you have done is pollute it with ways to try and monetize the client. I don't know how you guys can seriously sleep at night.

Do you know what happened to IObit when they declined to own up to their bastardry? They lost hundreds of thousands of users and just about every tech site on the web took it upon themselves to prove them wrong and take personal offence at their behaviour. Yet here you are now, just trying to cover your asses and are blatantly lying about your intentions. No one would be remotely surprised if you tried to bundle anything with uTorrent that would install regardless of what the user wants.

Do you know what happened to Lenovo after the whole 'Superfish' debacle? Do you guys seriously not know the kind of fury that you can invoke in your users by pulling this kind of stunt? You have millions of users, you are losing more each day and you still think that it's okay to behave like this?

Do you know what happened to ESEA when THEY DID EXACTLY THIS to people using their software? They got FINED a MILLION dollars for it. I am sure you guys could easily pay that, but you do realise that a company with more money (like yours) is just going to get a BIGGER FINE!

No you don't understand our feelings. You don't care about anything other than making money, and saving your asses. So at least be honest about it and come clean when you're caught.

You sir are an idiot. The fact that you say you are using a 'fresh' install of Windows, and yet it's so obviously pirated (with the addition of KMSpico) and yet you don't even know what it is. But then go on in the video to mention "Oh lol! I know what that is" proves nothing except that you are a total moron using a pirated version of Windows. Installing a pirated copy of Windows with KMSpico isn't a 'fresh' installation at all. You do know right that KMSpico, (in exchange for activating your copy of windows unlawfully) sends your user-data, key-strokes, browsing history etc. to a third party, remote computer right? If you block it in your firewall, it will remove the activation. It's basically a rootkit.

You're a moron and your screencast was absolute rubbish. If you're going to pirate software fine, but don't pirate the most important part of your computer. The OS. Especially if you don't know what KMSpico is at a glance, and why it is so bad for your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for people who are like "Oh it's time to change". Are you guys serious? Wake up, it's been time to change clients THREE YEARS AGO. This client has always been trash, ever since it was bought by this company that has done nothing but monetize it. How could you fools seriously keep using it when ads and other crap started to pop up onto your computers? It's just utter laziness that you have continued to reinstall uTorrent instead of just moving to one of the other hundred better clients out there.

You have no one except yourselves to blame for letting uTorrent think that they can get away with this.

You aren't much less of an idiot when you spout baseless information about KMSpico. Source your allegations or shut the fuck up. KMSpico does not transmit information to third-parties. 

You aren't much less of an idiot when you spout baseless information about KMSpico. Source your allegations or shut the fuck up. KMSpico does not transmit information to third-parties. 

1. Download a firewall

2. Wait for it to send a request to a remote computer with a data packet containing your keystrokes and other data (actually analyse the data being sent, like others have to see I am right)

3. Realise I'm right

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

No really, do a Google search you moron and wake up and smell the roses. Rather than try to justify your pirated OS.

Not only this, but it's also one of the most targeted pieces of software for hackers to inject trojans and other nonsense into the software:

On the official site it was removed by the author and replaced with v10.0.8 that has too many (20+) malicious plug-ins and bundled software. Just be careful when using the official version, as it hasn't been safe for a very long time.

Read more: <Removed link, violation of Forum ToS>

Nice job registering just to show what an idiot you are! Is that one of your sock puppet accounts hmm ePirate?

Personally I couldn't give a toss about whether it's a stealth install or anything else. The very fact that a company would even consider abusing users computers in this way to make money is astonishingly evil.

There are people who wouldn't understand what this thing is, even if it they were asked about it. Just think, there will be people in the coming months wondering why their computers are running so hot and noisy when they're idle, and wouldn't even think to associate this with utorrent. There will be people who would actually buy new computers because they think their current one is broken. And not to mention that running a computer at 100% load will actually cost that person money on their electricity bill. uTorrent is very literally stealing from people by doing this.

1. Download a firewall

2. Wait for it to send a request to a remote computer with a data packet containing your keystrokes and other data (actually analyse the data being sent, like others have to see I am right)

3. Realise I'm right

4. ???

5. PROFIT!

No really, do a Google search you moron and wake up and smell the roses. Rather than try to justify your pirated OS.

Not only this, but it's also one of the most targeted pieces of software for hackers to inject trojans and other nonsense into the software:

Nice job registering just to show what an idiot you are! Is that one of your sock puppet accounts hmm ePirate?

I'm running Wireshark right now you fucking asshat. All connections are accounted for. Nice source, by the way.

fucking idiot.

You guys are pricks seriously. You employ some of the sneakiest tactics ever to get people to install the crap bundled with your software by changing buttons and employing a different 'accept' or 'decline' method for every piece of junk you try to bundle with uTorrent, and you have drowned the client itself in advertising. You are the absolute lowest of the low. The whole "We need money to pay for this app" is absolute horses***. The original uTorrent before you Malware asshats bought it was free to use and had no problems with funding. After you bought it from them all you have done is pollute it with ways to try and monetize the client. I don't know how you guys can seriously sleep at night.

Do you know what happened to IObit when they declined to own up to their bastardry? They lost hundreds of thousands of users and just about every tech site on the web took it upon themselves to prove them wrong and take personal offence at their behaviour. Yet here you are now, just trying to cover your asses and are blatantly lying about your intentions. No one would be remotely surprised if you tried to bundle anything with uTorrent that would install regardless of what the user wants.

Do you know what happened to Lenovo after the whole 'Superfish' debacle? Do you guys seriously not know the kind of fury that you can invoke in your users by pulling this kind of stunt? You have millions of users, you are losing more each day and you still think that it's okay to behave like this?

Do you know what happened to ESEA when THEY DID EXACTLY THIS to people using their software? They got FINED a MILLION dollars for it. I am sure you guys could easily pay that, but you do realise that a company with more money (like yours) is just going to get a BIGGER FINE!

No you don't understand our feelings. You don't care about anything other than making money, and saving your asses. So at least be honest about it and come clean when you're caught.

You sir are an idiot. The fact that you say you are using a 'fresh' install of Windows, and yet it's so obviously pirated (with the addition of KMSpico) and yet you don't even know what it is. But then go on in the video to mention "Oh lol! I know what that is" proves nothing except that you are a total moron using a pirated version of Windows. Installing a pirated copy of Windows with KMSpico isn't a 'fresh' installation at all. You do know right that KMSpico, (in exchange for activating your copy of windows unlawfully) sends your user-data, key-strokes, browsing history etc. to a third party, remote computer right? If you block it in your firewall, it will remove the activation. It's basically a rootkit.

You're a moron and your screencast was absolute rubbish. If you're going to pirate software fine, but don't pirate the most important part of your computer. The OS. Especially if you don't know what KMSpico is at a glance, and why it is so bad for your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for people who are like "Oh it's time to change". Are you guys serious? Wake up, it's been time to change clients THREE YEARS AGO. This client has always been trash, ever since it was bought by this company that has done nothing but monetize it. How could you fools seriously keep using it when ads and other crap started to pop up onto your computers? It's just utter laziness that you have continued to reinstall uTorrent instead of just moving to one of the other hundred better clients out there.

You have no one except yourselves to blame for letting uTorrent think that they can get away with this.

KMSPico does not transmit data to third parties. If you get it from MDL forums it's completely clean. KMSPico activates with a KMS server to activate the OS every once in a while.

I agree with the first part of your post though. They shouldn't be monetizing it this badly so that it even affects it's own performance, not that version 3.0+ was good in the first place.

What people should do is either downgrade to utorrent 2.2.1 or move on to qbittorrent or deluge. Just try it once and see how it works for you.

You haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. KMSPico is made by a member of MyDigitalLife and uses the open source KMS Emulator. It activates against a loopback KMS emulated daemon (127.0.0.1). 

There is somebody releasing a MODIFIED version of it that bundles crapware, but its NOT the official version. As a previous person states, the one you download from the OFFICIAL SOURCE does none of the things you mentioned. 

[...] 2.2.1 lacks uTP support. [...]

Wrong, it not lacks µTP support.

µTP support was firstly implanted in µTorrent 1.8.1 (beta), but it was not enabled by default.

µTP support which was enabled by default was in µTorrent 1.9.13485 (alpha).

[...] 2.2.1 does not have support for UDP trackers [...]

Wrong, it has support for UDP trackers.

Support for UDP trackers was firstly implanted and enabled by default in µTorrent 2.0.16081 (beta).

utorrent at it's peak claimed to have had 100 million users. Even if the average processor was an i5 2500k(it wouldn't be), that's 90 watts per processor for 48kh/s.

That's 7 cents, per user, per month if the computer is normally near idle 24/7. costing each customer $9.72 a month in electricity at 15 cents/kwh.

With 100,000,000 users, that's 4,800,000,000kh/s, 4,800,000 mh/s, 4,800gh/s. 3 times the current hashrate. That would give them 3/4 of the 28,800 litecoins mined per day once the difficulty leveled out, worth $38,880 a day or about $11 million a month, costing their customers $972 million in electricity a month.

Realistically. For every 24 hours 1 million 2500k owning users run that shitware, utorrent makes $2,300 costing the users $324,000.

This came at a good time for me. I had been tentatively using qBittorrent but had not yet removed uTorrent. Ultimately, it doesn't matter to me whether or not EpicScale gets installed even without user consent (although if it does, that's much worse). I am going to take Jeremy Collake's advice and stop using any software that bundles crapware, whether it prompts me or not.

I'm tired of it, and I despise the whole business model. I am always happy to pay for good software, and if they didn't support crapware and use a stupid subscription model, I would have paid for uTorrent. I'm done supporting the friends of crapware.

* Uninstalled

Personally I couldn't give a toss about whether it's a stealth install or anything else. The very fact that a company would even consider abusing users computers in this way to make money is astonishingly evil.

There are people who wouldn't understand what this thing is, even if it they were asked about it. Just think, there will be people in the coming months wondering why their computers are running so hot and noisy when they're idle, and wouldn't even think to associate this with utorrent. There will be people who would actually buy new computers because they think their current one is broken. And not to mention that running a computer at 100% load will actually cost that person money on their electricity bill. uTorrent is very literally stealing from people by doing this.

This user is exactly right. You've gone too far this time. Trying to monetize your software is fine, but sneaking in software to mine Bitcoins is just too ridiculous. I don't care whether it was silently installing or not, the very fact that you're sneaking this in with your shady "accept agreement" trick installations says enough about what kind of company you are. Imagine how many users will have this running and wonder why their electricity bills have gone up and why their computer is running slowly.

Like many others in this thread I've signed up just to say goodbye to uTorrent. I've used uTorrent for many years now but after this stunt I will never use your software again and will advise all my friends and family to discontinue using it.

This user is exactly right. You've gone too far this time. Trying to monetize your software is fine, but sneaking in software to mine Bitcoins is just too ridiculous. I don't care whether it was silently installing or not, the very fact that you're sneaking this in with your shady "accept agreement" trick installations says enough about what kind of company you are. Imagine how many users will have this running and wonder why their electricity bills have gone up and why their computer is running slowly.

Like many others in this thread I've signed up just to say goodbye to uTorrent. After this stunt I will never use your software again and will advise all my friends and family to discontinue using it.

I have made an account to help bring light to this issue I checked my computer and it had "EpicScale" on it. Me and my family have been using your program for years and you as a company allowed this to happen. I will be switching away from this program like many others and I hope everyone will follow. We should not support such a low-standard company.

Shame on you utorrent.

Another user who has registered after reading about this mess.

Been using Utorrent for years now, & watched it become bloated with useless crap. This is the final straw. Moving on.

Will the last person out the door, please remember to switch off the lights.

Thanks for your comments. I used this copy of Windows to create the screencast within a VirtualBox virtual machine and nothing else. The reason I didn't know what it is was because I never used it before, but based on the search links to mydigitallife I knew the nature of what it was when I saw the search results. My personal machine (the host of the virtual machine) is a licensed copy of Windows I purchased at retail. I would have used my own machine but I didn't want crapware (like Epic Scale) installed so I used a disposable vm. Honestly I don't care if my keystrokes were logged in this case (which I doubt happened anyway given my experience with the generally honest people on mydigitallife, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt) because everything I did with vm was published in my screencast. And the VM is fully isolated from my host machine (if you can prove otherwise, I would love to hear it).

I do agree with the spirit of what you're saying about what a clean install is. I however don't think it matters for this scenario. Thanks for pointing these things out regardless.

Edit: Screencast removed for personal reasons. Screenshots of the install can be seen here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/epic-scale-and-utorrent-bitcoin-mining-riskware-investigated

So as pointed out by user john12345, it seems as though some people get offered 5 knives+Spigot+Skype and others get offered Ratking+Epic Scale+Wajam. I'm not sure what determines the offers. The Epic Scale offer includes an accept button where you'd intuitively expect the Next button to be.

That is just for the initial install. I don't know about Epic Scale being installed during updates.

Have been using utorrent from the start, but now i have switched to qBittorrent and WOW its so much better, thanks for making me switch by trying to fuck over users by installing shady shit..

Goodbye forever utorrent

Epic scale - more like EPIC FUCKUP

So as pointed out by user john12345, it seems as though some people get offered 5 knives+Spigot+Skype and others get offered Ratking+Epic Scale+Wajam. I'm not sure what determines the offers. The Epic Scale offer includes an accept button where you'd intuitively expect the Next button to be.

Except the Next button doesn't appear when you are on an older release and auto updated to the newer version. :(  They may have disabled it temporarily by now, though ..

I have sat really quiet on this forum and run uTorrent for years. I've not done any fresh installs or similar this one has been on here for quite a while. I have just looked on my hard drive and I have that software installed. I have not clicked on anything to allow it to install and lo here it is. I now have epic scale installed on my pc. Its not running but the directory is there. Fan fcuking tastic to say the least uTorrent. I have no idea where this has come from apart from silent installs. I have not clicked on accept any offer since the install of the program.

After all this time I've just uninstalled uTorrent and moved away.  

Twats!!!

Not only you add ADVERTICEMENTS,with the excuse "uh, its free, what did you expect?", add more and more ADVERTICEMENTS "features", with the installation and while you use the program and now a coin miner, because "uh, its free, right? we can use your CPU/GPU, this will make you pay more power bill, but its free, remember?".

Whats next?. A keylogger? Why not?. M$ does that, what wouldnt you because "uh, its free". If you dont want these "features", pay for it or dont use it at all, use another client.

You people are losing more and more people every day more, people wont forget this.

I registered just to tell you that I am uninstalling your software and will never again use it. Did you really think it would just slip by and no one would care? Or perhaps, you really don't care if you alienate the majority of your users if you'll make more money. Even if it is dirty money earned on our dime. Protip: People don't like it when you slip software on to their systems. Especially if they don't know what it does. MINDBLOWNING, I know.

I will also be sure to make others aware of this situation.

I say Good day sir!

Archived