Warning: EpicScale "riskware" installed with latest uTorrent

Groundrunner

Just curious, is EpicScale & BitTorrent Inc./uTorrent Inc. owned by the same set of people or somehow related to one another, relatives perhaps, or close "mafia" associates?  They sure seem to trust one another in the dealings of mining an untraceable/untrackable money such as LiteCoin/BitCoin...  I bet the IRS would be very curious as to what they are REALLY upto... :angry::angry:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my pc. I've done no fresh install of uTorrent this came from an upgrade uTorrent installed I've not installed any new version or agreed to epics install. I've been deleting it as it did not show up in add remove programs. This is from the we imagined it all. This is from last week, first time I've been at my pc to do this properly. I did not use a fresh install from downloading it from the utorrent website. It came via an upgrade. I know what I click on and allow.

post-353917-0-26404200-1426364983_thumb.

post-353917-0-26404200-1426364983_thumb.

Put this way when EpicFail made utorrent go viral on the internet that is really bad. For a program that had alot of user that liked it to go viral in a bad way because of Malware "Stealth" doesn't give it good reputation points. There is a time for a software to bring in income but there is a good and bad way to do it and EpicFail is showing us the bad way of doing it at the cost of the user's hardware specifically their GPU and shoud their GPU fail utorrent can claim the user agreed to the installation which also leaves a bad taste in users switching to another torrent software. The user is left with the bill to repair their GPU or buy a replacement of which if they are on limited budget makes this a very expensive replacement for them. And from the spam posting attacks I seen so far would indicate there is some very bad feelings coming utorrent way.

I bet the MPAA and RIAA were responsible for making the bad news go viral.. ;/

Has anyone tried to install the latest version in a virtual machine and actually accept all the junkware agreements just to see how much garbage gets installed?

They didn't have to...for those not reading and staying intune with events...EpicFail and utorrent did this to themslves and have no one but themselves to blame for the problem.

I'm quite sure I was very careful about declining all of the "extra" software offered when downloading this latest version and yes I do have EpicScale running when I check my task manager. It does not appear in Add/Remove programs nor have I been able to find it in program/data files for removal but the pos keeps coming back on after ending task. I guess I'll have to try the removal tool I read about earlier.

Been a user of uTorrent for almost 10 yrs but ................no more.

What would fix this would be to have utorrent create a Epic remover to permantly remove Epic from previous utorrent that was installed and wasn't updated that had Epic infected machines. This would go along way to improve their PR with utorrent users. Utorrent will say they don't support older version but this goes beyond support but epic-malware being installed they should make the fix to fix the problem so users will continue to use utorrent. I will iterate I am glad to be still using the older version before all this debacle came out - it is clean and lightweight and does what I need it to do.

What would fix this would be to have utorrent create a Epic remover to permantly remove Epic from previous utorrent that was installed and wasn't updated that had Epic infected machines. This would go along way to improve their PR with utorrent users. Utorrent will say they don't support older version but this goes beyond support but epic-malware being installed they should make the fix to fix the problem so users will continue to use utorrent. I will iterate I am glad to be still using the older version before all this debacle came out - it is clean and lightweight and does what I need it to do.

Actually if you go to http://www.epicscale.com/how-to-uninstall-epic-scale, there are instructions, as well as a utility, to remove the software. The utility is linked out from the paragraph under the screenshot graphic.

Yeah, people were REALLY excited with BitTorrent Sync and their other innovative technologies, BUT now that they are on ALL the major Malware Scanner/Distribution List, very few people or organization would let them or TRUST them with their private/important files.

Edit:

I may put their software on an isolated system, but NEVER on a more secure system that has important stuff on it... :(

Archived