Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groundrunner

Warning: EpicScale "riskware" installed with latest uTorrent

utorrent at it's peak claimed to have had 100 million users. Even if the average processor was an i5 2500k(it wouldn't be), that's 90 watts per processor for 48kh/s.

That's 7 cents, per user, per month if the computer is normally near idle 24/7. costing each customer $9.72 a month in electricity at 15 cents/kwh.

With 100,000,000 users, that's 4,800,000,000kh/s, 4,800,000 mh/s, 4,800gh/s. 3 times the current hashrate. That would give them 3/4 of the 28,800 litecoins mined per day once the difficulty leveled out, worth $38,880 a day or about $11 million a month, costing their customers $972 million in electricity a month.

Realistically. For every 24 hours 1 million 2500k owning users run that shitware, utorrent makes $2,300 costing the users $324,000.

They would make a lot more. BitCoin mining comes from mostly using the GPU to do the hard work. If some of those people had really heavy GPUs like some GTX 980 or something (or practically anything better than integrated graphics). They'd be raking up the power bill by about 50 to 60 times more than what you are talking about, and uTorrent would be raking in 60x more money...

However they claim that it all goes to charity. Who gives a damn. Besides someone is getting paid and is paying for the crapware you got installed and the site's hosting and staff.

Thats why I pirated an OLDER version of utorrent and blocked all ads.

Why? you may ask

Because I don't care about your need for ad revenue. If you can't offer fair advertisement then you can fuck off. 

Registered here just to say that. 

How can you pirate an older version? uTorrent has always been free. It's just been bloated with crap and ads for the last 3-4 years or something.

Just move on people. qTorrent is basically uTorrent without the crap and it's open source and updated and doesn't have security flaws.

Deluge is another client that is far more lightweight than uTorrent and is far more aggressive within a swarm when it comes to seeding and leeching torrents, so you can get connections faster and download and upload more right off the bat.

However they claim that it all goes to charity.

I don't think it all goes to charity. Their website says "profits." It seems like they are giving BitTorrent, Inc. some money for putting their client into utorrent. Also, they might be paying their own salaries, expenses, perks, etc.

If they said "100% of revenue" then it all going to charity might make sense.

On the press release they said they have given "thousands" to charity. That doesn't seem like very much given the "epic scale" (bad pun, I know) of their bitcoin mining operation.

Let me shed some light on this issue. Two days ago I was reinstalling Windows. I went to utorrent.com and downloaded the latest version. After I installed it, carefully opting out of all the bundled crapware, utorrent was launched and offered me to upgrade to a newer version! I was a bit surprized but decided to upgrade (why not?). A few minutes after the upgrade a popup opened up with an error message. The title bar of that popup read "EpicScale" and the error was something about not being able to connect to a server. I used Task Manager to locate the executable and found it in c:\Program Data\EpicScale\ folder. There was no EpicScale installation in Control Panel > Programs and Features listed! This looked like a virus to me so I googled it up and found this forum post. It had only one page at that time. I ended up uninstalling that update and reinstalling the version I downloaded manually from utorrent.com. Now I see this issue pop up all over the web on tech news sites and on discussion boards. Some people argue that, because they cannot reproduce the issue, the complaining users just forgot to opt out of this EpicFail offer. But the reality is that the utorrent downloaded directly from official website did not have this issue! It is the update that utorrent pulled on its own that was at fault! Look into that. 

@n4te_b: I understand the intention of BitTorrent Inc. to make money.

But installing software which uses your PC hardware (CPU, RAM, bandwith) without (and even if it is with) knowledge of the user is out of legality in my opinion.

Additional, if a user wants to contribute to such software (which I did before) - the user would install the software separatly and very aware about what he does.

Best would be a definitly question for the user which leads (only with a positiv approval by the user!!!) to the page of the mentioned software without installing it WITH uTorrent.

For those wishing to switch to qBittorrent, there is now an easy to use migration utility coded in Ruby that will use uTorrent's resume.dat file to copy the data to qBittorrent's format.

I recommend making a copy of %Appdata%\uTorrent\resume.dat and working on the COPY of that file and NOT the original

Source code and compiled version here: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,3224.msg15518.html#msg15518

Christian, regardless of whether it is installed sillently or not: I'm really dissappointed about the fact that the uTorrent makers make money with MY processing power which *I* have to pay for. It's not like I lose nothing. I / we have to pay for the extra job our computers have to do.

I will not use your software anymore. There is only one chance you have to stay trustworthy to your users: By never making such things. Now you did (either on purpose or out of inexperience), which shows what kind of intentions you have and it doesn't even matter if you would remove this crapware from the installer again. At least for me, you lost my trust.

I installed another client. Bye.

I register a account to say good bye to uTorrent!

I used utorrent almost 5 years when bitcomet start contain spyware/adware.

But now, as same as i say good bye to bitcomet, i will drop utorrent.

I am HongKongese and live in HongKong, i experience many bad software from China, 

most of them slient install many spyware/adware.

But none of them will install a bitcoin miner, it TOTALLY NOT a offer to user, and it is harmful to user's PC.

GOOD! BYE! UTORRENT!

I'm afraid this fiasco WILL stick to the user's mind & I'm afraid people will be afraid to install anything made by Bittorrent, Inc & uTorrent Inc. I wonder if ANYONE will trust their important file to their subscription Bittorrent Sync 2.0 product if they can treat their users in such a fashion.

Excessive CPU, GPU and RAM usage,

more and more new bugs and issues with each new versions,

old bugs and issues aren't fixed in new versions,

making ads unblockable and unhidable like hard adware,

censor on the forum where "someone" deleted and removed the same topic about this issue before here, good that we have a google copy here and other internet archivers got it too,

the same issue was also in the past with Conduit Engine adware,

and now on update Epic Scale riskware and mailware which is probably a crypto coins miner botnet...

µTorrent is really going down the hill and getting more and more pushy bloatware with each new versions.

Looks like it was a perfect idea to change program many years ago. B)

Nice find with that cached thread! It seemed pretty clear they tried to cover this up, probably while some damage control was done and any further silent installs were prevented, wether deliberate all accidental via updates

I found one other archive of that page through Bing because the Google one doesn't fully show up for me. Seems to be an early capture than the Google one though.

The saddest thing here as pointed out by other people, is the large amount of users that wont understand what this ShitWare is, wont understand why their computer isn't running well/getting hot and won't understand why their electricity bill has gone up so much. These people will not read tech news and certainly wont be visiting this forum, so the damage is already done to thousands of people and it cannot be undone.

Even though this has not affected me, it really pisses me off and I have uninstalled uTorrent from several computers that I use and I'll be telling anyone that I know using uTorrent, that they need to switch asap.

Now using qbittorrent and wont look back.

@madgick First: glad that you have not had any problems. As to the deleted thread, we will look into that. We've been very open in this discussion and the original post on this issue remains - in fact we're both commenting on that thread. It's possible a community moderator took it down for one reason or another, but I can not confirm until we've been in touch with everyone. We will circle back on this and thanks both to you and Virtual_ManPL for raising this question.

How much money did you pay for using uTorrent for those 5 years?

I used utorrent almost 5 years when bitcomet start contain spyware/adware.

But now, as same as i say good bye to bitcomet, i will drop utorrent.

@Virtual_ManPL: 1+

(except your last sentence - this I missed ...; but replacing "many years" with "yesterday" is what I did.)

Just chiming in to say that I have moved to qBittorrent as well. No more uTorrent for me.

Keep digging your own grave, guys. :)

I should also note that I've been a loyal user for maybe 10 years now. It was the first and only torrent client I ever used (outside of Kazaa/Limewire/etc back in the day).

I personally wasn't affected by Epic Scale, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say.

Hi. I've been with uTorrent from the beginning, 2004 - 2005. I switched over from the original bitTorrent product. One of the reasons was that I wanted little extra controls than what was offered. Don't quote me on this.., but I think BitTorrent client started to include advertisements? Anyways, I went on a search for good freeware alternative. I found uTorrent and read it's official description. It was being promoted as lightweight slim and clean client that offered extensive controls.

The official product description hooked me and I've been with uTorrent all this time. Always promoting this client over the various other ones being used in my local area, and to Internet users around the world.

It has served me well even when 3x versions included third-party packages and advertisements. I've opt-out of all that including advertisements in the client. Remember different ones actually clicked on some of those advertisements and lead to some serious problems. This is when I decided to inform people of potential problems with advertisements and inform them of means to address this.

I really like to consider myself a dedicated uTorrent supporter. I really appreciated the work put into developing and shaping up uTorrent. I really didn't like the third-party bundled packages, and hated those advertisements. At the end of the day, I was happy because you offered means to opt-out of the third-party bundled packages and the client advertisements. I have left other products and not looked back for a lot less.

This CryptoCurrency Miner that uTorrent is now including with newer installers, and 'what seems' to be a means to grab / install silently this Miner software after the automatic update. However I'm assuming it's respecting peoples opted-out choices and could explain why some including myself aren't seeing this Miner software installed yet, and no visual indication of something different and unusual behind the scenes like higher CPU, GPU and RAM usages.

It's being said that uTorrent states in EULA terms upon product installation, it reserves the right to installing other stuff silently. I personally don't remember what all was stated in uTorrent EULA. However if what is being said exists in uTorrent EULA, then it should be no surprise for EpicScale to be silently installed after uTorrent update.

Here in my community we aren't a wealthy community, and any currency Miner software to be allowed which would lead to sooner demise of our cheap low-end computers and higher hydro .... and bandwidth costs. Isn't a welcomed thing one bit. In-light of this all, I will no longer personally be recommending uTorrent or using it myself. I will also take some time getting a hold of different ones to inform them about potential problem with continue usage of uTorrent product.

I will be open-minded and keep up with everything happening with uTorrent. I'm being optimistic that uTorrent development will see their mistakes to support a CryptoCurrency Miner means and rectify this fairly soon. Considering there are other ever-growing popular and even some open-source alternatives, perhaps even the advertisements would disappear from an upcoming releases?  :wub:  :P

One simple question: is it proven beyond any doubt that this 3rd party sw got installed in a passive way???...

I do not like utorrent's current installer, because it's designed to generate confusion and make 3rd party installation almost a fact...

Last time I installed utorrent, the option given was really REALLY confusing...

I do not have any trace of epic sales...

So, again: are you sure that got installed passively?

Enviado desde mi XT1058

Been using using torrent clients for almost a decade now (both for academic and other uses).

I switched to uTorrent from the now-defunct Azureus a long, long time ago because uTorrent was light and got the job done. Over the years, uTorrent has started adding features I don't need. Then it started adding ads and uTorrent pro. I was lazy, and stuck with it. Then came the video ads. I should have switched clients, but continued using uTorrent out of sheer laziness.

But this is the last straw. Whether EpicScale was a silent install or not, uTorrent is now a shadow of its former self. Now it's no different from any software you get from download.com - chock full of "toolbars", adware, malware, spyware and all. EpicScale is just one of the many issues with uTorrent, and I've put up with this nonsense long enough.

For those of you who were as lazy as me and are still on uTorrent - there are a ton of better clients out there. It took me less than an hour to migrate all my torrents and set up all my downloads just right. You can do it too.

GXGedIo.png

Well for some of us the older version are still good to use and works without bloatware and STEALTHWare....

Still no announcement of any sort of change whatsoever. I guess their approach is just to wait it out and continue as usual.

So...

Still no confirmation that this was installed in a pasive way...

Still no announcement of any sort of change whatsoever. I guess their approach is just to wait it out and continue as usual.

And i guess you didn't see thread where this issue is discussed in that regard...

So...

Still no confirmation that this was installed in a pasive way...

And i guess you didn't see thread where this issue is discussed in that regard...

That's not the only issue. Read the full thread please.

That's not the only issue. Read the full thread please.

In this EpicFail it is called Plausible deniability because you agreed to the software install so they have nothing to answer for. Regardless of what one may think otherwise from StealthWare installs. Guess the Sony RootKit scandals hasn't waken them up yet but I guess this one caused from what I read a user GPU to fail as a result of this EpicFail malware even if they use it for bitcoin it obviously didn't benefit the utorrent users-they never got paid for making their GPU bitcoin for utorrent. And for those still using the older versions before 3.xxx they are considered out of the woods from EpicFail...but I would say keep your auto updates to manual so as to prevent anymore EpicFails....

90% of huge utorrent userbase install all bundeled crapware in "next->agree->next->ok" mode.

Millions of coin miner installs? Users spend $?M more on electricity bills? Powerplants emit more CO2? Okay, why should this bother EpicFail or utorrent staff, they gey their profit, capitalism, ho. So, what next? A utorrent-based botnet, hell yeah?

Now a 0.0001% of (former) utorrent users who post in this thread and proudly declare to move to another torrent client, do you really think this really matters?

You want to make a difference, you wish to change this ugly order of things? You go tell that to the userbase, make the awareness rise up, promote alternatives, shout to the media. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.