epic scale bitminning software

rahulp1

hello guys ,

I have a u torrent 3.4.2 (build 37754 ) (32 bit ) I have read u torrent 3.4.2 has a bit minning software "epic scale " installed which consumes lot of cpu power , so what's the way around this problem ?

My questions are 

1) does my utorrent version has this epic scale program , if yes, where can I check for it , what's it's location ?

2) if my version has epic scale , how do I uninstall it or should I go for an older version of u torrent 

3) if i need to install the older version , could you please post the link to the same 

thanks a lot for helping me out 

When exactly does it get installed? From my tests it does not seem to come with the initial install.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/epic-scale-and-utorrent-bitcoin-mining-riskware-investigated

Step 9. It looks like utorrent installer downloads so called "offers" from the internet during the installation. Some users get 5 knives+Spigot+Skype (just like in your video) and some get 700 Fill by Ratking+Epic Scale+Wajam (just like in the article above).

Also, what about portable utorrent? I download utorrent.exe from official site, create settings.dat in the same folder, launch utorrent.exe, what happens next? Will it automatically install all the bundled crap like Epic Scale, etc?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/epic-scale-and-utorrent-bitcoin-mining-riskware-investigated

Step 9. It looks like utorrent installer downloads so called "offers" from the internet during the installation. Some users get 5 knives+Spigot+Skype (just like in your video) and some get 700 Fill by Ratking+Epic Scale+Wajam (just like in the article above).

Got it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about the other users of utorrent but this part makes my skin crawl..

"Although Epic Scale is an exception, we’ve managed this model without significant negative feedback for a long time."

This is because no one knew of it's existence to start (STEALTHWARE) with until people started to have GPU problem and they went looking and found it. That's how it came to light.

"While we reiterate our belief and support in their charitable mission, this is clearly something you should discover on your own and participate in directly with Epic Scale."

This part no one will deny charitable mission but here's the but ... then it should've been make clearly in the inital installation about such software being installed and give the users the choice to install it or not and what that software is going to do.

"As mentioned, Epic Scale has already been permanently suspended"

This comes little consulation for those that already had hardware failures or hardware problems as a result of Epic malware.

"As a closing note, we can’t express enough how important our community is to us. And further, how seriously we take all of the feedback we receive."

If it was important the user should been told upfront on the installation or update that such software was being installed and they should've had the choice to install it or not install it. Feedback blackash only came about because utorrent became Viral on the internet and the backlash was quite heavy. Coming late into the party to fix a problem which clearly was known doesn't inspire confidence for future users of utorrent that such tatics won't happen again. Again this is P.R. nightmare that shouldn't happen.

As cleary stated this is my Opinion but I can atest this is how most users now feel. And for those using the older 2.xx version be very glad you didn't choose the auto update feature. If you have 2.xx go to your preferences and uncheck the auto update feature to further protect yourselves.

Archived