22MB overhead for 179MB file?

gracefool

I'm downloading one 179MB file from a 3.57GB torrent. uTorrent says I've downloaded 134MB of the file, but the general tab says I've downloaded 156MB for that torrent (and uploaded 30MB). Why is there so much overhead?

Also, this is confusing because the Files tab says I've completed 74.7% of the download, while the torrent list says I've done 86.9%. This ratio was even worse earlier...

that "extra" downloaded 820kB goes into a uT partfile because the file you don't have set to download shares a torrent peice with files you DO have set to download. uT must download the entire peice, and any client that doesn't do so is not protocol compliant. you can delete the partfiles after your torrent download is completed and removed from the list, but not before then because uT may need to send that downloaded peice to another user and so would need to get it from the file you want and get the rest of it from the partfile you don't. read the FAQ.

edit: ahh Firon, you so fast.

Thanks osmosis for actually explaining it.

As for the extra 22MB, I started the torrent and then skipped all the files except the first. No pieces from other files are shown as downloaded, apart from that 820kB of file #2. Does "Wasted" reset every time you start uTorrent? In that case, the 22MB must all be "wasted" o_O

But that doesn't explain why the completed %s are different.

Merged double post:

I checked and the general % completed is definately rising faster than the file % AND "wasted". So where's that extra data going?

Archived